PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Twisted networking issue

dishayu
October 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I have run into a small issue while trying to enable wireless on my desktop... I'll just list everything in points...

What i have :
- A desktop PC with Netgear WG311 v3 wireless adapter, running ubuntu 10.10.
- NO ETHERNET CONNECTIVITY (i live in an apartment which only has Wi-Fi, with absolutely no provision for Ethernet)
- A laptop running ubuntu 10.10, working ethernet and working wireless.

What i want :
I want to access internet on my desktop via an Ethernet link to my laptop, so that i can get my wireless adapter working..

Is it possible to do so?

If not, then is there any other way to get wireless working on my desktop? Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

Additional details :
- Laptop running dual boot Windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10
- Desktop running dual boot Windows XP and ubuntu 10.10
- I know that taking my desktop elsewhere (with ethernet connectivity) to install wireless is a solution but i would only keep it as a last resort as it would be extremely tedious for me.

krishnandu.sarkar
October 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Ya you can connect the Laptop and Desktop with Cross cables and in laptop you can choose to share the internet connection. In this way you can access internet on Desktop too.

dishayu
October 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Ya you can connect the Laptop and Desktop with Cross cables and in laptop you can choose to share the internet connection. In this way you can access internet on Desktop too.

Thanks for the reply... How exactly do i share internet connection?

I am already using a crossover cable and both PCs show LAN connection, but i have no internet access on my desktop...

krishnandu.sarkar
October 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
In windows just right click on the adaptor and select "Share My Internet Connection" in Advanced tab.

And in Ubuntu follow these...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=91370
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing