PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Remotely execute an X App remotely

msherman123
October 17th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I am looking to see if there is any way to remotely launch a X application on a remote machine via ssh (or web cgi) via a local shell or perl script. I would like to connect from A to B and have the app launch on B. Doing it via standard way 'obviously' gives me the standard error of "cannot connect to X Server" or "Unable to open display". This is expected. But I am looking to see if there is any other way to do this. Is there an argument I could pass to have it launch on a certain display?

VNC or Remote desktop is not an option.

Thanks!

SeijiSensei
October 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Connect to the remote machine using "ssh -X". You may need to run "xhost +" on the client machine before using ssh to permit the remote connection.

I'm assuming you want to see the application display on the client machine. If you log in without the "-X" switch, you can launch an X application on the server, but it will display there.

msherman123
October 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Connect to the remote machine using "ssh -X". You may need to run "xhost +" on the client machine before using ssh to permit the remote connection.

I'm assuming you want to see the application display on the client machine. If you log in without the "-X" switch, you can launch an X application on the server, but it will display there.

Actually, the opposite. Not doing standard X Forwarding. I actually would like to see the X App launch on the remote machine.

This is specifically what I am doing. Probably would of made sense to explain in the original message.

I use XBMC quite a bit. My current remote control abilities work fine when XBMC is open. But I cannot remotely start or quit XBMC. What I wanted to do is create a web page (Running on the XBMC machine via apache) to launch a perl script to start it on that machine. Everything is working, but I obviously get the errors noted above.

Thanks for the response!

msherman123
October 18th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Bump :)