PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Rumours

kaldor
October 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/back-to-the-mac-invite.jpg

Apparently the Mac users are going to be getting some attention for once in a long while.

Looks like a possible refresh to OS X and the Mac computers.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/13/apple-to-host-back-to-the-mac-media-event-on-october-20th/

tjeremiah
October 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
this should be fun :D

MisterGaribaldi
October 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
What was it Kosh said?

"And so it begins..."

Yeah, it's always interesting to see what Cupertino cranks out next. I can tell you that Core Animation and some of the other stuff, now that it's being taken and run with by different app developers, is starting to pay dividends to end users. For example, I find that Firefox 4 renders pages far faster on Mac OS X than on Linux or Windows.

I just hope as Apple continues to make various things like Grand Central, etc., available as open source that the Linux community (which *loves* to bash Apple) will find the value in what a heavily-financed R&D company like Apple has come up with, and take the better bits and implement them.

kaldor
October 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
what was it kosh said?

"and so it begins..."

yeah, it's always interesting to see what cupertino cranks out next. I can tell you that core animation and some of the other stuff, now that it's being taken and run with by different app developers, is starting to pay dividends to end users. For example, i find that firefox 4 renders pages far faster on mac os x than on linux or windows.

I just hope as apple continues to make various things like grand central, etc., available as open source that the linux community (which *loves* to bash apple) will find the value in what a heavily-financed r&d company like apple has come up with, and take the better bits and implement them.

+1

pt123
October 17th, 2010, 01:52 AM
They also have a habit of re-inventing features that are in other OS and then show casing it like it is something new

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 01:55 AM
They also have a habit of re-inventing features that are in other OS and then show casing it like it is something new

Citation ?

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM

Linux users have a habit of bashing Apple with little/no knowledge on the subject.

Edit for the Apple haters:

http://opensource.apple.com/

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Public_Source_License

Sporkman
October 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Boy Apple really knows how to market. :)

The internet is sent a-flurry over mere rumors...

Giant Speck
October 17th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I hope someone accidentally leaves a pre-release copy of Mac OS X 10.7 in a bar somewhere. I'd like to get a review from Gizmodo.

corrytonapple
October 17th, 2010, 04:19 AM
:lolflag:
I like Apple, so no bashing for me. Also, it is a little early for 10.7 guys, being that 10.6 is at the most a year old. Normally they do two years for a release.

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM
But also keep in mind that Snow Leopard was only an "bugfix" release... not a full-blown OS upgrade. It didn't introduce much else other than bug fixes from Leopard which came out over 3 years ago now.

Apple's been focusing on iOS and iOS devices for the last long while. It's due time they put their real computer line back up front.

Merk42
October 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
They also have a habit of re-inventing features that are in other OS and then show casing it like it is something newRight, because Linux never (http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/Docky) copies (http://www.elementary-project.com/) OSX (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/global_menu)

aysiu
October 17th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Originality's overrated, anyway. I don't really care who thought of some vague idea first. I care about who executes the idea best.

Mustache Villain
October 17th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Like Ubuntu's new UI. Apple totally ripped it off!

johntaylor1887
October 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I smell recurring.

Khakilang
October 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I like Apple, so no bashing for me. Also, it is a little early for 10.7 guys, being that 10.6 is at the most a year old. Normally they do two years for a release.

I don't bash Apple either. My sister has one and its pretty cool. I just don't like the vendor log in and its price structure.
:guitar:

NightwishFan
October 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Like Ubuntu's new UI. Apple totally ripped it off!

:popcorn:

I do not like osx since the big selling port for ubuntu/debian is fast and light resource use and freedom to use on any machine.

MisterGaribaldi
October 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
At the end of the day, I use what tools I need to in order to get stuff done. I like playing around with computers (always have, probably always will) but when I need to be, you know... "productive"... I use the best tools for the job.

Giant Speck
October 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I just wonder if I'll be able to upgrade my Hackintosh to 10.7.

kio_http
October 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
To me after booting, OS X seems very solid, no crashes etc. It also seems very polished and speedy.

Before the Intel transition, it was not worth buying a Mac. Once they shifted to Intel, so many more apps have arrived even windows games run quite well with a compatibility layer. It is also nice to be able to run windows on it.

OS X Lion won't come now although they will mention about its development.

Apple's only mistake was stopping PowerPC too soon. I mean I can imagine the look on the faces of people who bought a G5 powermac in 2006 for a big price and then in 2009 they know that they can't install snow leopard on it.

As far as copying ideas is concerned, see apple's views on Windows vista (WWDC 2006)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8)

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Before the Intel transition, it was not worth buying a Mac. Once they shifted to Intel, so many more apps have arrived even windows games run quite well with a compatibility layer.

Yet people still think you can't game on a Mac or run new applications. Frustrating when people bash you when they see your Mac :)

tjeremiah
October 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
guys,competition is a good thing.

MisterGaribaldi
October 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM
The personal opinions of others are no concern of mine.

linux-hack
October 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cool ... looking forward for this :D

clgy15
October 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Personally Im stoked, I got the first gen of the new intel macs and have been saving up for the 3rd gen mac. Hopefully Ill get a double whammy here with the new gen laptop and then the new gen OS. :P

Personally I have all three OSs on my macbook pro and they all work great I boot into which one I need.

And this time im gonna get an SSD in my macbook because they rock!!!!

Waiting for the party to begin :guitar:

Half-Left
October 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Linux users have a habit of bashing Apple with little/no knowledge on the subject.

Edit for the Apple haters:

http://opensource.apple.com/

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Public_Source_License

People bash Apple in the right context and it's appreciated that they contribute or maintain some open source software. Note that the majority of their software is proprietary.

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
People bash Apple in the right context and it's appreciated that they contribute or maintain some open source software. Note that the majority of their software is proprietary.

So what , The majority of Audi is Audi . When I purchased my Audi knew that. And when I purchased my Macs I knew what was in it and its OK by me, as it will be by those who chose to do so.

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Apple still does a hell of a lot more for FOSS/Open-source than most other major companies. Nothing wrong with proprietary software, either.

cprofitt
October 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Apple, Microsoft and others have all 'ripped off' ideas from others.

It is the way things work.

Why it matters I do not know.

Half-Left
October 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Apple still does a hell of a lot more for FOSS/Open-source than most other major companies.

So what? It's doesn't excuse their horrid business model on their locked in proprietary software.

MisterGaribaldi
October 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Back when Mr. Jobs announced 10.6, he said Apple had really ignored Mac OS X development, merely adding features and bells-and-whistles and such, but that there was a lot of garbage and behind-the-scenes things that needed to be cleaned up. The goal of 10.6 was to sort of "get back to the basics" of Mac OS development. I think Apple and their customers have benefited from this.

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM
So what? It's doesn't excuse their horrid business model on their locked in proprietary software.

What horrid business model, please explain how it differs from others ? is it because they make a profit?

Is it because they sell their products ?

Half-Left
October 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM
What horrid business model, please explain how it differs from others ? is it because they make a profit?

Default locked in software model just like Microsoft, in fact, worse. Apple will find themselves in the same situation as Microsoft was in the 90s.

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Default locked in software model just like Microsoft, in fact, worse. Apple will find themselves in the same situation as Microsoft was in the 90s.

Have you read their latest results ? their market share Apple PC's (excluding iPads ,iphones) rose 24% in the last Fiscal year , that tells me a lot of people disagree with you and are voting with their wallets. Also Apples share price rose to a record $301US per share last week.

They are also dominating the mobile computing market.

Half-Left
October 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Have you read their latest results ? their market share Apple PC's (excluding iPads ,iphones) rose 24% in the last Fiscal year , that tells me a lot of people disagree with you and are voting with their wallets. Also Apples share price rose to a record $301US per share last week.

Android too but what do you expect with such a company as Apple being 30 years in the minds of the public. Share price is good for them and their shareholders, nothing more.

Apple will never control the majority of the market with their products because they don't cater for the people on a budget and why companies like Nokia will hang them out to dry.

fatality_uk
October 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Isn't Android outselling iPhone?

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Isn't Android outselling iPhone?

Phones are but one part of mobile computing , and yes they have been in the last month and a half but overall iPhone still leads. Its iPad, Macbooks and iPhone together that jump them into the dominant position at present..

However Andriods growth especially when the likes of Samsungs Galaxy Tablets takes hold is going to seriously challenge that. BY YEAR END ANDRIOD WILL BE CLEARLY LEADING WITH SAMSUNG THE MARKET LEADER.

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
We should try to keep on topic instead of the Apple bashing/Apple support... I don't want my thread executed :)

I hope 10.7 will do something to allow more GUI customization, though.

And I *really* hope they won't take the direction of the iPad/iPod and make it so you need to jailbreak your own computer.

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
We should try to keep on topic instead of the Apple bashing/Apple support... I don't want my thread executed :)

I hope 10.7 will do something to allow more GUI customization, though.

And I *really* hope they won't take the direction of the iPad/iPod and make it so you need to jailbreak your own computer.

It is only a point release , I would not expect much. It has been rumored that IOS will come to IMAC and Macbooks but I do not believe it will be with this release. However, having said that , Apple do like to spring surprises and if they are going to launch touch screen on the Imac and Macbook ranges putting IOS on them would help facilitate this.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM

I don't have a problem with proprietary software or making money off of a product. I have a problem with how much they are charging for their products.

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't have a problem with proprietary software or making money off of a product. I have a problem with how much they are charging for their products.

I don't because unlike taxes its not a compulsory expenditure. When one buys a Mac one buys it knowing the cost and is free to say no and buy elsewhere. But as Kaldor rightly pointed out we are digressing I apologize Kaldor.

themarker0
October 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I hope someone accidentally leaves a pre-release copy of Mac OS X 10.7 in a bar somewhere. I'd like to get a review from Gizmodo.

I would laugh so hard. I laughed very hard at that comment.

Cam42
October 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM

They did have an event for Snow Leopard a year before it was released.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I don't because unlike taxes its not a compulsory expenditure. When one buys a Mac one buys it knowing the cost and is free to say no and buy elsewhere.

What you're saying is true. But I said that I have a problem with how much they are charging, so I choose not to buy their products. I don't have a problem with people who don't have a problem with how much they are charging. ;)

PC_load_letter
October 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
What you're saying is true. But I said that I have a problem with how much they are charging, so I choose not to buy their products. I don't have a problem with people who don't have a problem with how much they are charging. ;)

To me it's exactly the same situation. They charge an arm and a leg for their computers relative to other PC vendors. Just to give an example, for $1800, I can buy a much more featured ASUS laptop than a MacPro at the same price.

I'm not sure if things are still the same at their iTunes store, but I once bought one album and that was it, it was in the m4p (protected) format, and I could only listen to it on 5 (approved) devices. I can't listen to it any more after I switched to Linux. That should be the definition of a Vaporware product. Probably because of that, I think of Apple as a little bit evil company.

IF, and that's a big one, I find that I will need a computer for my music needs, I'll probably get a Mac mini.

corrytonapple
October 18th, 2010, 01:21 AM
They did have an event for Snow Leopard a year before it was released.
Oh, OK. I did not pay much attention to Snow Leopard because I knew I would not get it, and that our Mac was working fine already.

3rdalbum
October 18th, 2010, 06:23 AM
It took Apple 16 years to outgrow the classic MacOS, but I believe Apple has outgrown OS X and that one of the two things will happen:

1. Minimal MAC OS development continues with only a few new features in each new version, and more bugs and security problems.

2. The smarter thing: Build a new operating system and desktop environment. Preferably based much more on FreeBSD with as little Apple modifications as possible, to preserve the security and extensibility of the system.

kio_http
October 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
To all those speaking of apple's "closed business model":

Mac OS X is locked on apple hardware for the simple reason that this ensures the software and hardware work perfectly. This is why Windows is often criticised for problems as Microsoft has to make software for so much different hardware.

A lot of apple's stuff (including the kernel) is open source, so if someone wants to port things to PC they can. Of course I don't expect them to make iTunes etc open but the foundation of Mac OS X is open.

Just my view

Naiki Muliaina
October 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Apple deserve respect for their marketing. There is not many company's that can consistently release PC's and Gadgets and be seen as cool with every one.

The only thing I hate about Apple though, is I have never found Apple products intuitive to use. I am a gadget and PC lover but I just never find Apple natural to use. It looks the biz, but feels clunky and awkward. *shrugs* Guessing that's mostly just me though.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Citation ?

None needed, its what all companies do. A "new feature" is simply a collection of other people's ideas stolen and made to look like one's own. A bit like university essays.