PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 - I want my function keys to work WITHOUT pressing "fn"

youbuntu
October 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi there. I have a late 2009 MacBook, white, unibody, and I wish for the F1-F12 function keys to have their primary role as F1-F12 keys, but allow me to use them as media/volume/brightness keys as a secondary role, when the "fn" key is held down at the same time as corresponding key.

Please tell me this is possible? Thank you.

cholericfun
October 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
i dont have a mac so can't try it out but i don't see how setting the shortcuts manually in the "keyboard shortcuts" section wouldnt work

edit: by the way, your title and your post are saying two opposite things or am i just too tired?

realzippy
October 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Laptop "FN" keys listed in "Keyboard Shortcuts"??

youbuntu
October 15th, 2010, 10:33 PM
What happened to simplicity?! In OS X it's just a matter of ticking a box, telling OS X to use the Function keys as F1-F12, and not as media keys etc...

teejmya
October 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I'm in the same boat so far, it's not even funny. My late '09 UniWhiteBook needs this too! I'm still looking around for it.

For all the other Macbooks pommed will do that, but ours is native.

Ill let you know if I find anything.

youbuntu
October 16th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I'm in the same boat so far, it's not even funny. My late '09 UniWhiteBook needs this too! I'm still looking around for it.

For all the other Macbooks pommed will do that, but ours is native.

Ill let you know if I find anything.

Thanks, dude!

pounsg
October 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
install the pommed that you can find on this forum, the one called pommed_1.31~dfsg-1_amd64.deb (if you are in 64 bit).
check that the value of fnmod in /etc/pommed.conf is 1.
restart pommed :
sudo /etc/init.d/pommed restart
done :)

youbuntu
October 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM
install the pommed that you can find on this forum, the one called pommed_1.31~dfsg-1_amd64.deb (if you are in 64 bit).
restart pommed :

Thanks, but did you actually try the advice you have given me? It doesn't work at all on my MacBook6,1 (late 2009).

pounsg
October 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
it works perfectly on my macbook 6,2. If you prefer, next time, i keep my advice :(
Haven't you change the first post ?
If you you put 1 in the fnmode option, function key work like in OS X (no need to use fn to change volume), if you put 2, you have access to F1, F2 etc directly and function keys need the use of fn. This does not work with the pommed in the repos but with the one you can find in the forum.

raim1312
October 31st, 2010, 01:37 AM
restart pommed :

thanks pounsg. setting that value to 2 made the function keys work like normal. exactly what i wanted. im running a mbp 6,2

AnjanaSofia
December 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Pommed is just for Macs, right? Does anybody know how this would work on a non-Mac?

I have an Asus 1005HA, and right now it's set so that, for example, Fn+F6 increases screen brightness, Fn+F10 toggles mute, etc. I'd like it to work like it does on the computer I'm most used to (MacBook), i.e. just F6, F10 with no Fn key.

Any help would be appreciated!

NeoCambell
January 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I had the same question. Finally found the solution here How to use Function keys directly without having to press Fn (http://www.expertcore.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3001)

Enjoy!