PDA

View Full Version : Counter campaign to Microsoft FUD about OpenOffice.org

alexan
October 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I get the idea here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9978404&postcount=133)

Recently microsoft released a video talking about OpenOffice.org... and how bad (in their mind) is for business to switch over it.
A strong power of the opensource community is that you need simple idea to make big things grow.
What we know for sure is that "our" reply to Microsoft shouldn't be just "share their video/make microsoft happy" (the youtube link shared lead to page where people can't even comment.. just raise their "view score") but find a neat alternative to spoil their fun!
We need a "different" video.. and this stuff can be made only inside the community.
Sadly, I am not able to make cool/techy video animation.. but pheraps I can post some incipit (which are very needy of patches).

my idea is make a video 6~9 minutes long split in chapters: a quick intro, explain some stuff, criticize close (unopen) standards, goodbye with spur to inform themselves (maybe with a close tagline like "don't just wait to pay another update license: find your alternative!)

Here's the script for the first 1~2 minute,
chapter: "truths"
if you are viewing this video, it means you've probably already heard of a recent FUD...
[bottom is show a brief definition of the term]
...in place of a famous monopoly company.
[show something that recall microsoft: but not logo or text of it]

The first thing we'd like you to note is that this video is free...
[the word "free" lights up and zooms in]
...this means that this video is the pure product information will of a group of people.

Contrary to the informations...
[the word "information" solidifies it seems to rot]
...deployed by that company, in our case no one has been paid or imposed this work
[a human stick figure point the his hand at another figure sitting at desk: the other figure lower his head and continues to write]

In addition, we do not need to scroll through many and different voices to create an illusory "common sense" to our ideas: we don't need many mouths, but just a single head to find all the solutions that serve your interests [the camera zoom out showing off a monitor ... then runs from behind the monitor showing the picture he is reading from it):
you!

next chapters: demolish lies... but be respectful and rationally.

jhsu802701
October 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
There needs to be a message along the lines of: Try OpenOffice yourself and see if it meets your needs. It's free, and if you don't like it, you can go back to the proprietary software you were using before.

kaldor
October 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
](*,)

earthpigg
October 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
get someone to sign on that knows his/her way around blender :P

Dustin2128
October 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
might be interested in helping; I don't want to do any voice work though.

@earthpigg
I'm not too bad at blender myself, but I shouldn't be the only one working with it.

pwnst*r
October 15th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Lol counter campaign.

This ought to be interesting.

Half-Left
October 15th, 2010, 11:38 PM
A good counter campaign would be to talk about what OpenOffice can do well and that Microsoft Office isn't your only choice.