PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A lot of my settings disappeared

pmp6nl
October 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hello, for some odd reason a lot of my settings disappeared (background, docky icons, Desktop Drape settings, network passwords, etc.).

The only thing I have done is add a new kernel (these problems occur in both kernels) and edit the applications and system menu icons. (Well I did upgrade to 10.10 a few days and many restarts ago... but that shouldnt be it)

Any idea as to why this happened or how to restore all of the settings and such?

Thanks!

Brian

k3lt01
October 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
You have had a corruption happen. A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago and another member last year sometime. I lost all of my settings and also the folders in my /home folder.

You have 2 options.
1. Wait and see if it comes good, which is possible as it did for the person I mentioned above.
2. Do a clean install after backing up whatever you don't want to loose.

pmp6nl
October 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hey, thanks for the response. What causes this issue? Is there any file I can restore from backup that would fix this?

Thanks

AndyM3
October 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
If you have a backup, restore everything in your home folder that begins with a period (those are hidden files).

pmp6nl
October 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
If you have a backup, restore everything in your home folder that begins with a period (those are hidden files).

I have tons of backups. I will do that and let everyone know what happens.

k3lt01
October 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry, I don't know what the cause is, I haven't been able to track it on any occasion I have known of it occurring. Just make sure you do a ful back up, as already suggested, and do a completely clean install. When you replace your backup onto your system do it a bit at a time so you may see if any of your files could be the cause.