PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VirtualBox - no USB devices unless you pay?

Robert.Thompson
October 15th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Hello:

Is it correct that free VirtualBox will not allow, i.e. see, USB devices attached to the host?

Thanks,

JustinR
October 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hello:

Is it correct that free VirtualBox will not allow, i.e. see, USB devices attached to the host?

Thanks,

Hi,

Not the open-source version. But the closed-source version - which is free - does.

Just go to www.virtualbox.org and download the latest version.

DarthScape
October 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM
What you are seeing is "Free" as in freedom. There is no paid version. The non-OSE version is still "Free" as in price, but not open source. So, if you use the proprietary version, you can use usb.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM
If you download the closed source version (the only one with usb support), you must add yourself to the vboxusers group in order to pass the usb devices to the guest operating system.

Robert.Thompson
October 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hi,

Not the open-source version. But the closed-source version - which is free - does.

Just go to www.virtualbox.org and download the latest version.

Thank you!

I just downloaded & installed: virtualbox-3.2_3.2.10-66523~Ubuntu~lucid_amd64.deb.

I still do not see any USB devices. Is there something else that I must do?

Thanks,

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
As I posted earlier:

If you download the closed source version (the only one with usb support), you must add yourself to the vboxusers group in order to pass the usb devices to the guest operating system.

System > Administration > Users and Groups
Manage Groups
Scroll down to vboxusers
Click Properties (on vboxusers)
Click the checkbox next to your username
Click OK.

To access device:
Click Devices -> USB Devices -> Device Name

You can also create a filter in the virtual box settings (when the vm is off) that will pass a usb device to the vm every time it is turned on (if you want to).

TNT1
October 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Thank you!

I just downloaded & installed: virtualbox-3.2_3.2.10-66523~Ubuntu~lucid_amd64.deb.

I still do not see any USB devices. Is there something else that I must do?

Thanks,

You must also go to administration/users, and make sure you are added to the vboxusers group.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM
You may have to log out and back in again (to ubuntu) once you add yourself to the vboxusers group. Not sure about that though.

TNT1
October 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
You may have to log out and back in again (to ubuntu) once you add yourself to the vboxusers group. Not sure about that though.

Yeah, I find that a random thing. On the Toshiba, I had to log out, on the HP, I didn't have to...