PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] terminal at start up?

musendrophilus
October 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal takes too long for my tastes. How do I get terminal to begin running once I boot or have a quick launch button for it on the dashboard or desktop? I did look at System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications I don't know the path for terminal.

Hippytaff
October 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
you can put it in startup applications system> preferences > startup applications

I chose the easiest way which is system> preferences > startup applications...choose the options tab and then close everything (apart from the terminal) and choose 'remember current running application'

Hippytaff
October 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
or Ctrl+Alt+t once your in :-D

garvinrick4
October 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Ctrl/Alt/t or change it in keyboard short cuts.

musendrophilus
October 14th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Groovy, thanks

jtarin
October 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM
There's Tilda (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tilda/) and Guake (http://guake.org/wiki) from the repositories. Ready to go at login,launch key,configurable. I personally prefer Tilda as it can be placed to open anywhere on the desktop.

Hippytaff
October 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Groovy, thanks

sorted - if your satisfied that everything is sorted then remember to change the post to solved using the thread tools at the top of the page ;_0

JustinR
October 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
sorted - if your satisfied that everything is sorted then remember to change the post to solved using the thread tools at the top of the page ;_0

You could just learn to type fast. Pressing ALT + F2 and typing 'gnome-terminal' is faster than clicking a docking icon or panel shortcut.

By the way - 'gnome-terminal' is the path you can use in Startup Applications to have it startup automatically.

Alternatively, you can right click your top/bottom panel and click 'Add to Panel', 'Application Launcher' then select 'Accessories > Terminal' and press Okay.

oldos2er
October 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Or just set a keyboard shortcut (F12, in my case) to open a terminal.