PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and World of Warcraft (Beginner)

M-L-A
October 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hello,

How I was originally introduced to Unbuntu was through A friend when I brought up the notion of wanting to build a rig for World of Warcraft. I didn't want to use windows as the os..so that's why I'm here :). Im currently using apple OSX.

This is my 2nd day reading about Ubuntu and Im hoping that it turns out to be the right Os for me.

The system:

Intel Core2 Extreme - 3.0 Ghz 12m cache 1333 MHz
Nforce 790i Ultra SLI MCP
Sparkle Geforce GTX 470 1280 mb x2
Patriot Viper II DDR3 2gig Ram x3
Western Digital 1.5 Terabyte 64mb / 3.0 GB/S HD x2

OS - Ubuntu

Here's the Question, having never used Ubuntu, or even heard of people gaming on an Ubuntu OS, is it possible to do this?

Will the hardware take the OS, such as driver updates, patch updates for WoW?

Do I need an OS such as apple, or Windows to install Ubuntu to help lessen the chance of frustration and faceplams?

How much of Unbuntu can I Customize, I'd like to be able to change everything to make it more an extension of me then simply changing the wallpaper and colour scheme that OSX and Windows only offers.

Pretty much all I can think of as of right now. I apologize if this the wrong forum to post this in.

Ciao-

wishyjr
October 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi how are you doin!

Firstly, you're in exactly the right place! To answer your questions:

Playing World of Warcraft seems entirely possible (although i've never played it myself). You can use something called 'Wine', it enables windows based programs to run in Ubuntu (or any linux distro). You can install it using ubuntu's package manager - synaptic. Check the links below to get started:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17421

Looking at your hardware, i'd say everything should work really well.

Ubuntu (and indeed Linux) systems can be completely customised in ways you wouldn't believe! Just search around these forums, there is so much you can do - for inspiration, check out the screenshot sticky threads in the Community Cafe section of these forums, heres the latest one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1585610

Hope that gets you on your way!
Cheers

adwhitenc
October 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Its even easier, install PlayOnLinux and wow should be supported.

j0nathan
October 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Hello,

I used to successfully play WoW on ubuntu. I am not familiar with the PlayOnLinux that adwhitenc suggested, but it looks like a really good solution. If you Google WoW on linux, there are some nice tutorials on how to set it up. IMO, it is easier to just copy all of the WoW files to your ubuntu box from a Windows machine, but that is just me.

On to your questions though:

* Here's the Question, having never used Ubuntu, or even heard of people gaming on an Ubuntu OS, is it possible to do this?
--yes

* Will the hardware take the OS, such as driver updates, patch updates for WoW?
--yes, they download from the launcher (or game if you skip the launcher) just like Windows

* Do I need an OS such as apple, or Windows to install Ubuntu to help lessen the chance of frustration and faceplams?
--no, especially not the newer versions. It comes with a nice installer.

* How much of Unbuntu can I Customize, I'd like to be able to change everything to make it more an extension of me then simply changing the wallpaper and colour scheme that OSX and Windows only offers.
--ubuntu, and Linux in general will be the most customizable OS that you will ever work with. You can change anything that you want (Literally ANYTHING, so be careful with that one, got me in trouble more times than I care to remember.)

earthpigg
October 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Here's the Question, having never used Ubuntu, or even heard of people gaming on an Ubuntu OS, is it possible to do this?

I game often, but I'm not a dedicated gamer. Plenty of games available that satisfy the requirements of 'killing time and brain cells', but if you wish to be on the forward edge of video gaming... windows is what you want for that.

If you have your heart set on one or two specific games, it may be better for you to dual boot windows. WoW works today under wine, and many people report playing WoW on wine for several years without problems, but we have no idea what tomorrow's WoW update will bring.

http://www.linuxgamingworld.com/
http://www.linuxgames.com/

Will the hardware take the OS, such as driver updates, patch updates for WoW?

i'm not sure i understand this question.

Do I need an OS such as apple, or Windows to install Ubuntu to help lessen the chance of frustration and faceplams?

you need to be able to burn the ubuntu cd on whatever system you are currently using, but the target system needs no operating system installed.

How much of Unbuntu can I Customize, I'd like to be able to change everything to make it more an extension of me then simply changing the wallpaper and colour scheme that OSX and Windows only offers.

the only limits on the appearance of an open source operating system are those limits imposed by your knowledge. google image search 'linux desktop' and see the possibilities for yourself.

max00355
November 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wine is the best way to go all my friends with linux play WoW through wine and i did as well

loop444
November 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
I played wow on ubuntu too, and it was really easy to do so.