PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install a printer in Ubuntu Server 10.4

windows lover
October 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I could really use some help here; How do I install a printer on Ubuntu server? I have a Cannon MP250 that i need to install so I have a print server but being as I am reluctantly new to Linux I am at a loss. Any help would be duly appreciated

arrrghhh
October 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
If the printer has a NIC, that would be the easiest method.

If not, you only have USB or LPT, then you'll have to plug the printer into your server & set it up with CUPS. I know HP printers have pretty good Linux support, but I don't think Canon's do. Good luck.

windows lover
October 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I followed the steps for configuring cups that were in the Ubuntu documentation but something must be wrong as the web management page doesn't work, I've tried both the router i.p address and the i.p address that my computer are using but nothing works, I think i need to settle this before i do anything else.

arrrghhh
October 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
So what have you tried to troubleshoot...?

windows lover
October 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
ummm how?

arrrghhh
October 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Ok, let's start over at square one.

Have you read NetworkPrinting with Ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu)? It's an offical Ubuntu doc.

You may also want to peruse thru the Server Guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html)

Update - more links

CUPS (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/cups.html)

Samba Print Server (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-printserver.html)

windows lover
October 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Therein lies the problem i cannot access that website, regardless of the fact that I have followed the guide.

The "listen" section of the configuration file is as follows:

Listen localhost:631 # this was set by default
Listen /var/run/cups/cups/cups.sock # left as the default
Listen 192.168.0.8:631 # The i.p. address of this computer

Not certain what to do or if this is configured correctly, however, i can browse to printers folder on the server from my windows computers

windows lover
October 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Ok now I've changed that default localhost:631 to MoweryHomeNetwork:631 but that didn't work either

windows lover
October 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
nothing works its this stupid Linux its the worst OS in the world they should just destroy everything Linux i give up i win

cariboo907
October 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The way cups is setup by default, you can only access it from the computer it is running on. If you are running a default install with no gui, install links and access the management page with it. Once you have accessed the page you can set it to accessed from any other system. See screenshot.

Remember to turn the option off, after you have finished, because if you leave it on, anyone can go in and make changes at any time.

arrrghhh
October 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
nothing works its this stupid Linux its the worst OS in the world they should just destroy everything Linux i give up i win

Wow... Don't think you're going to get much help acting like this dude.

windows lover
October 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Yes i apologize for that I was very frustrated when I wrote that and still frustrated, Linux is just so annoying especially using only the command line

arrrghhh
October 18th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Yes i apologize for that I was very frustrated when I wrote that and still frustrated, Linux is just so annoying especially using only the command line

Some prefer the command line - I personally do. But I have always, ALWAYS been an advocate of 'use what works for you' - if you want a GUI, install ubuntu-desktop. You can run ALL of the same services you can on ubuntu-server, and you have a friendly desktop environment to use.

I run a pretty paltry server, and to squeeze all of the performance out of it that I can, I try to only install what I need. A GUI interface takes a lot out of a machine - all the updates, unnecessary processor overhead, etc. It's all very overkill for my little file server.

Anyhoo, are you still trying to get this fixed? We are here to help :D