PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usermod don't create home dir

hypermorph
October 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm trying to know everything about user and group creation and have found a problem I can't fix. I create a new clean (almost) account:

$ useradd newacc
After creating the password I want to assign the home directory for the account:

$ usermod -md /home/newacc newacc

$

And this is what I get. Nothing in response from the system. So I guess, everything is OK. But the directory hasn't been created. So I repeat the operation:

$ usermod -md /home/newacc newacc

$ usermod: no change (or like that. I'm translating from spanish)
But the directory is not there. I check the etc/passwd file and the directory appears as my home directory.

By reading the manual page I thought that was the way to assign a home directory (and copy the /etc/skel contents) to a user that hasn't got any. But it's not working for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fran
-----

Santos
------

papibe
October 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I would recommend you to use "adduser" instead of "useradd".
Regards.

hypermorph
October 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Well. thanks for your answer. But that didn't solve my problem. I want to do it the other way, and if it is possible I want to know what I'm doing wrong (if I'm doing something wrong) and the right way to do it.

Thanks

QLee
October 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well. thanks for your answer. But that didn't solve my problem. I want to do it the other way, and if it is possible I want to know what I'm doing wrong (if I'm doing something wrong) and the right way to do it.
Well, papibe's advice was probably good advice because the useradd man page also give the same advice.

However, of course you can choose to do things the way you want to. I note that your description seem to indicate that you are doing this from a user prompt. But, you don't show any error messages like I get when I try the commands you listed from a user prompt. Does it work any differently if you do the commands with sudo?

Edit: Excuse me, I just noticed your posting history. Welcome to the forum! As a new user, you may want to have a look at this.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

luvshines
October 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks

From useradd man pages:

-m, --create-home
Create the users home directory if it does not exist. The files and directories
contained in the skeleton directory (which can be defined with the -k option)
will be copied to the home directory.
By default, no home directories are created.

I checked it too, if there is no home directory initially, usermod -md will not create any new one either

hypermorph
October 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
QLee, first of all, thanks for your help. And, it's true, I was writing fast and didn't add the sudo to the description of the commands, but I really was doing it with sudo. There´s no other way, because using the normal account, I get a message about the impossibility to unlock the etc/passwd file or a message stating 'no change'.

luvshines, thanks for your help, too. I still don't know if there's something I'm not doing well. If I create the directory by hand and later I want to remove the user account, the shell removes the acccount, but not the directory (a message says that the directory is not the user's directory), but my /etc/passwd file shows it is.

Thanks. Bye

Fran
-----

luvshines
October 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
luvshines, thanks for your help, too. I still don't know if there's something I'm not doing well. If I create the directory by hand and later I want to remove the user account, the shell removes the acccount, but not the directory (a message says that the directory is not the user's directory), but my /etc/passwd file shows it is.

Thanks. Bye

Fran
-----

Who is the owner of the directory when you create it manually ?

You delete account with 'userdel -r <user-name>' ?

luvshines
October 15th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I would suggest adding a new user with 'useradd -m' then delete it with 'userdel -r' and see if it still gives the error

sandyd
October 16th, 2010, 12:30 AM
QLee, first of all, thanks for your help. And, it's true, I was writing fast and didn't add the sudo to the description of the commands, but I really was doing it with sudo. There´s no other way, because using the normal account, I get a message about the impossibility to unlock the etc/passwd file or a message stating 'no change'.

Thanks. Bye

Fran
-----
you need to chown it.
For example, if the user is called "john" and the home directory you created is "/home/john"
then

sudo chown john /home/john

luvshines
October 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM
you need to chown it.
For example, if the user is called "john" and the home directory you created is "/home/john"
then

sudo chown john /home/john

Should not it be

sudo chown john:john /home/john

sandyd
October 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Should not it be

sudo chown john:john /home/john

depends on if he creates a matching group for the user
the syntax is

sudo user:user_group /home/user
so it doesn't really matter wether or not he puts the group afterwprds

sisco311
October 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM
depends on if he creates a matching group for the user
the syntax is

sudo user:user_group /home/user
so it doesn't really matter wether or not he puts the group afterwprds

I would use the:

chown user: /path/to/home
syntax.

from man chown

If a colon but no group name follows the user name, that user is made the owner of the files and the group of the files is changed to that user's login group.

sandyd
October 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I would use the:

chown user: /path/to/homesyntax.

from man chown
ooh. neat trick
thx!