PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] How to install open office in Lubuntu

asifnaz
October 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I am working on a project which aims provide 40$ computers to 3rd world students .
I decided to use PIII with lubuntu .
As I am new to Linux I have no idea how to install open office in Lubuntu
I have downloaded it

it is in (OOo_3.2.1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar) format

kindly guide me step by step how can I install it

diablo75
October 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Just open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

Also... does Lubuntu have Synaptic Package Manager installed on it? If so, you can just use that to add/remove software if you don't have the Software Center to use.

mastablasta
October 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Go to Synaptic and find Open office and then install it.

how many Mhz does the ocmputer have? because it might work slow on a P3. well also depends on how much ram you have i guess.

Lubuntu is light but if you use "heavy" programmes then that wont' help much.

diablo75
October 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, you might try AbiWord instead of Open Office if it performs sluggishly.

friTTe81
October 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
or give Libreoffice a spin, dont know if its so light but its good.
Ive replaced my Openoffice for it.

Hagar Delest
October 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
If you want to install the vanilla version, see [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

pinklady14
September 4th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Just open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

Also... does Lubuntu have Synaptic Package Manager installed on it? If so, you can just use that to add/remove software if you don't have the Software Center to use.

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner and I am trying to install Open Office using Lubuntu - linux 2.6.38-8-generic (i686), light version of Ubuntu 11.4

I have downloaded the latest version of Open Office 3.3 and I don't know what to do next.

I am switching from windows/microsoft so I am very unfamiliar with Linux language and technical words.

How do I open a'terminal' so that I can type sudo etc...

I can see the synaptic package manager.

Thank you.
:confused::confused::confused:

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM
either of these

application-> accesories-> terminal
[crtl]+[shift]+[t]

alternatively you can search for open office in the software center

vasa1
September 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM
If you want to install the vanilla version, see [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

Greetings,

Hagar, in the tutorial, in the section referring "for all Debian-based distros - 1. Remove all the packages from the installed version", there is this:

But in case you want to upgrade your whole distro, you'll have to install back this package (and the OOo original version).

I know the tutorial is from some time ago but does this caution about having to re-install still apply to 11.04?

Hagar Delest
September 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Well, I don't really know. You can try as it is and see if the upgrade is fine or complains about a missing OOo.

But basically, avoid the soft upgrade. I've tried it once or twice and have noticed (as other users in this forum too) that the new system can have flaws due to remnants of the old flavor. Personally, I've dedicated 2 partitions for the root (/). I install an Ubuntu version on 1 partition and the next one on the other and the following one on the 1st. So I always install from scratch with the live CD. You've to do other partitions to store your data of course (I've about 8 partitions in total).