PDA

View Full Version : Clueless Beginner with Black Screen

Zfoster8
October 14th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hey, i have an Acer Aspire M5641 64 bit desktop that's a few years old that's running vista, and i'm trying to dual-boot ubuntu 10.10, or whichever is the newest that just came out. anyway, i got it all installed I think, but when i go to the boot menu and select ubuntu, it loads for a second, then instantly goes black. I can hear it still running and processing in the background, but no screen responce at all. i've tried running it through the on-board video card, and my nvidia galaxy geforce 8400 gs GPU, which i use for running vista. neither of them seem to work, and i'm really drawing a blank. i know basically nothing about ubuntu or linux at all, and i'm at quite a loss. any help is greatly appreciated.

amjjawad
October 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hey, i have an Acer Aspire M5641 64 bit desktop that's a few years old that's running vista, and i'm trying to dual-boot ubuntu 10.10, or whichever is the newest that just came out. anyway, i got it all installed I think, but when i go to the boot menu and select ubuntu, it loads for a second, then instantly goes black. I can hear it still running and processing in the background, but no screen responce at all. i've tried running it through the on-board video card, and my nvidia galaxy geforce 8400 gs GPU, which i use for running vista. neither of them seem to work, and i'm really drawing a blank. i know basically nothing about ubuntu or linux at all, and i'm at quite a loss. any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Ubuntu :)

I've read about similar problems here in this forum. Most of those users who had these problems, they have the same Graphics Card of yours.
Try to search the forum, hopefully you'll find something similar. I don't have the link to these threads now.

Good luck :)

DJonsson2008
October 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM
What the respondent above said.

Also also you can try booting with the live disk for the same version you are attempting to install, to make sure it works with your hardware. Perhaps try other live disks, netbook, earlier versions to see if they work.

amjjawad
October 14th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'm an anti-dual booting advocate especially for beginners. Reason being hard drives are cheap enough, to simply buy
another drive for Ubuntu purposes.

I'm still a beginner with Linux and I have 9 Operating Systems in my PC, 8 (Linux Distributions) on the same HDD and I have no problems at all.
You just need to know what are you doing and that's all :)

Anyway, I know that's your opinion but I'm just trying to say it's case-to-case and there's nothing wrong with Dual/Multi-Booting itself :)