PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Low graphics mode

hyperhopper
October 13th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Occasionally when starting my moms computer (10.04.1 LTS), it gives a SYSTEM IS RUNNING IN LOW GRAPHICS MODE error. there are a few options, such as view logs, restore driver data, and a few other things.

When i try to view logs, the prompt just flickers and acts like i never did anything.

Same with restore driver data, and everything else except for

Run in low graphics mode just this one time (what she does to get it running)

and restart X, but when i do this, the screen freezes at something something cupsd

How can i fix this?

AndyM3
October 13th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Isn't Intrepid Ibex unsupported? You should probably do a backup and then a clean install of Lucid or Maverick.

Sealbhach
October 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
If you don't want to upgrade, I would suggest you reinstall the graphics driver. Find it in Synaptic, right-click and mark for Complete Removal, then reinstall it.

hyperhopper
October 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Isn't Intrepid Ibex unsupported? You should probably do a backup and then a clean install of Lucid or Maverick.

whoops, got my boxes mixed up, this one is the current LTS, 10.04.1

one day ill get my dad to upgrade from II

AndyM3
October 13th, 2010, 10:39 PM
As Sealbhach suggested, reinstall the driver, but using the command line (Ctrl+Alt+F2).

hyperhopper
October 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
there are about a million X dot org X server drivers, alot are for displays.....

hyperhopper
October 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
sudo apt-get remove xorg says that it cant get a lock becase another process is using it

AndyM3
October 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM
"sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock" should fix that.

hyperhopper
October 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
after sudo apt-get remove xorg and sudo apt-get install xorg nothing. still low graphics mode

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
after sudo apt-get remove xorg and sudo apt-get install xorg nothing. still low graphics mode

What driver is it? Maybe your graphics card is busted, try loading up a Live CD or USB session of Ubuntu 10.10, see how it looks.

hyperhopper
October 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
its an integrated. Ill try this, but its a recent install, and when i first loaded it up and installed via live CD, it looked fine and was normal.

ALSO, its not the graphics thats the problem, they look normal. its that darned message