PDA

View Full Version : Tons of mail comming from hotmail via POP3

sanderd17
October 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
My girlfriend uses gmail and hotmail. She gets her hotmail mails via POP3 into gmail so she doesn't need to open 2 accounts.

This day, something weird happened. Gmail started to download old hotmail mails. After a long time, it downloaded about 600 mails. These were old and unimportant mails. The important mails from that period weren't downloaded. Maybe because she answered on that mails. Now the mails are downloaded, everything seems all right.

A minority of mails was marked with "unread", although she read these mails as well as the other .

I can't find any usefull relations in this. Does anyone knows what happened? Did MS do something with there database?

The POP3 settings weren't changed for the past 2 months at least.

Frogs Hair
October 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
If the mails were marked as unread they will reappear in the in-box . Could they have been marked as unread by accident ? Checking the box on top on top and selecting mark as unread would cause the mail to come back to the in-box.

sanderd17
October 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
She said she read every mail (not just marking as read). She hasn't accessed her hotmail account in a while and doen't like to see that there are mails unread in gmail. So, I don't think she's marked them as unread by accident.

dmizer
October 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
This used to happen to me before I centralized my email. If you have the server settings set to "leave a copy on the server", this will happen from time to time. This happens especially if you use pop3 to check email on multiple machines. It's simply a shortcomming of the pop3 protocol. IMAP is much better at this, but it's not yet available for hotmail users.

sanderd17
October 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I would also prefer to use IMAP but indeed, hotmail doesn't support it and I don't think gmail supports IMAP import.

Lekensteyn
October 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I've the same problem. GMail imported 193 (+52 spam) mails, starting from over 5 years ago!
I haven't changed anything, and the last time I checked my GMail was yesterday.

Sam
October 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I don't think gmail supports IMAP import.

Yes it does! With SSL too!