View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to open a .sitx archive on Ubuntu?

October 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM

I received a .sitx archive and cannot yet find a way to open the archive. Anyone successful at opening a .sitx? How did you do it? What did you use?

Searching the forum and searching the web have not produced a solution. Perhaps I missed something obvious?

I have searched through https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromMacOSX without success. It is a guide to switching from Mac to Linux.

Many thanks!

October 13th, 2010, 10:23 PM
.sit and .sitx are Stuffit archives. It's my understanding (though I've never seen it myself) that at one point there was a Stuffit Expander utility for Linux; however, Stuffit has now had four owners (Bruce Lam, who started it, Aladdin Systems which bought him out, Allume which bought Stuffit, and Smith Micro which is now the present owner of Stuffit.

If you want to email them, their tech support address is info@smithmicro.com .

You'd probably be better off doing this in Mac OS X or Windows, for which there are current Stuffit Expander utility apps.

October 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you, MisterGaribaldi. Good background and consistent with my understanding.

I visited the SmithMicro site looking for a Linux solution. Came up empty handed. Perhaps their Tech Support folks have suggestions.

To solve my immediate problem, I've asked the person who sent the .sitx to create another format, like .zip, or almost anything else. There are very few formats that Linux utilities do *not* handle.

I am concluding that there is currently no .sitx (StuffIt) solution on the Ubuntu platform. Bummer. ](*,)

October 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Well, it's a proprietary format which hasn't been released to F/OSS, and also a (relatively) minority format that most people don't need.

As long as the person sending you the file is running some version of Mac OS X, there is a built-in ability to make ZIP archives.

Just be grateful this stuff isn't in some ancient, obsolete format like DiskDoubler or Compacter. That'd be a real bummer to deal with.