PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Enabling DMA on Macbook 1,1

Steve W. M.
October 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hi all,

I am the noobiest of noobs. I'm running Ubuntu Lucid on a first-generation white Macbook (a 2006 model). My CD ripping is extremely slow and unreliable, and the ripped tracks are always choppy. Evidently I need to enable DMA, but having searched dozens of threads and spent many hours reading what documentation I could find, I have not come across any instructions that I both understand and can carry out.

I did find a couple of help docs about DMA, but none of them were specific to my hardware, and the one Ubuntu help doc that I did find about running Lucid on Macbook 1,1 listed CD/DVD issues as "undocumented".

There is also (evidently) the possible issue of SCSI emulation, which I also know nothing about. But every thread I've stumbled across focuses on enabling DMA.

When I type "sudo hdparm -I /dev/scd0", I get this:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8221
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: GA0H
Standards:
Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
cache/buffer size = unknown
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
HW reset results:
CBLID- above Vih
Device num = 0
I hope that is helpful. I apologize for my noobness, and for the fact that this thread may not exactly be very useful to anyone else.

Steve W. M.
October 14th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Update:

I have noticed that typing just "hdparm /dev/sr0" gives me this:

multcount = 0 (off)
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Been reading up, but so far I have no idea -- in practical terms -- what that ioctl message means.

bodhi.zazen
October 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Thread moved to Apple Users.

logandzwon
October 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm sure I agree with this thread being moved to Apple. His problem is not related to it being Apple. It's just a standard drive.

Steve W. M.
October 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm sure I agree with this thread being moved to Apple. His problem is not related to it being Apple. It's just a standard drive.
logangzwon, did you mean that you weren't sure? ;)

By the way, I ran top while running cdparanoia, and my cpu usage was about 2%. Maybe DMA is irrelevant here?

Steve W. M.
October 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I hadn't realized that nearly every cd-ripping application for Ubuntu used cdparanoia. I tried ripping with just cdparanoia, and used the -Z flag to turn paranoia off completely (I don't think that you can pass that option to cdparanoia via, e.g., abcde). The rip went perfectly; no hanging, and no skips in the ripped tracks.

I guess my drive must be fairly reliable -- as my imported music sounds fine -- but that it was doing something to convince cdparanoia otherwise. Not a clue what it might have been.

Any ideas?

Update: Ripped a couple more CD's. Though they weren't in bad condition at all, there were skips this time. Someone please recommend something.

Steve W. M.
October 17th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Marking thread as solved.

DMA must not be the issue. I suppose I'll start a new thread when I have a clearer idea what I should be asking. Sorry for any inconvenience.