PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution

jmerhaut
October 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hi

New to Ubuntu.

I setup a dual boot on my laptop with Wndows 7 and Ubuntu. When I boot on Ubuntu I think I have a screen resolution problem because any application I minimize seems to close to a tray that is not visible at the bottom of the screen.

I found a site that addressed the problem but it references a GNOME tray that I can't see to change the screen resolution.

Can anybody help with this issue?

Jim

Some additional info. I have a Sony Vaio VPCF127Fx laptop. I found a monitors application in the system menu at th etop of the screen. I stepped through the set of resolutions available but none present the GNOME system tray at the bottom of the screen.

Do I need a different driver? If so were would I fond one and how does it get installed?

Jim

robsoles
October 19th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Welcome to UF

Take a look (assuming you are in 10.04 or 10.10 is very similar if not same) under 'System'->'Administration'->'Hardware Drivers' and see if it is offering an NVIDIA driver there.

If it is offering a driver choose 'enable', do the restarts and see what you get.

jmerhaut
October 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hi

I have Ubuntu 10.10.

I also have a major problem now.

In a nutshell I can't boot up. Here is the sequence of events. I don;t have the Ubuntu screen so I am going from memory.

I followed the menu link you wrote and did not have the end element.

I found a menu link that would search for available dirvers and it found an Nvidia link that recommended a driver for the laptop I have so I downloaded and enabled it. It required a reboot and that is how I got to the point I'm at now. Ubuntu will not complete a boot sequence and I am stuck.

Anyway I can back this out?

Anyway I can get at the files through WIndows since that still boots up OK on my laptop

Need help fast.

Jim

realzippy
October 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Need help fast.

If this is a fresh system,I recommend a fresh install,if you are not so experienced at the shell.This will be faster.

Otherwise,start in recovery mode (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode),and uninstall the nvidia.driver.
Drop to root shell (you have the choice then),
and type

nvidia-xconfig
if this works (unlikely) type

reboot
(Nvidia should work then)

if it not works type

apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings
then

reboot
(The free driver should work again)

jmerhaut
October 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hi

Got through your recommendation but still no boot. I get the UBUNTU logo and it sticks there.

Went back into the recovery mode and the menu is now smaller and I don't see the prompt when I drop to the root shell.

Any other ways you can recommend.

Jim

realzippy
October 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Ok,maybe you have to reinstall some stuff and completely purge nvidia.
From
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/X/Troubleshooting/NvidiaDriverSwitching

sudo nvidia-settings --uninstall
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo apt-get install nvidia-common
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You do not need the "sudo" because you are at root shell...