PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system disk error

DarinB
October 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
my ubuntu locked up while using firefox. I tried control alt backspace to log out i got a system check every thing was ok but i had a gdm binary failure, now I can't reboot I get system disk error I am using a live cd any ideas what to do???

Temposs
October 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I would suggest that you open System->Administration->Disk Utility. Click on your hard drive in that program and then click on "Check Filesystem". It should then scan your drive and tell you if there's anything wrong with it. If it tells you there are errors on that drive, then you probably are experiencing hard drive failure and you'll have to get a new one.

DarinB
October 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I imagine \I am to do this using the live cd...will i have a choice to which drive to check

Temposs
October 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, you will do it from the livecd. It displays all your drives on the left side panel, and you just choose the right one and choose "Check Filesystem"

DarinB
October 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
no disk utilities in admin I use linux mint and I am able to access all my files with a live cd????

Temposs
October 13th, 2010, 09:26 PM
You would be able to access all your files with a LiveCD

If you don't have Disk Utilities, then you'll have to open a terminal and run fsck on the drive you want to check.

AndyM3
October 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Mint has that SuSE-ish menu. Try typing "disk utility" in the search box there.

If that doesn't work, use "sudo fdisk -l" in a Terminal to see what drives you have on your system and then "sudo fsck /dev/sda1", replacing /dev/sda1 with the partition you want to check.