PDA

View Full Version : Just brought a grabbed a cheap VPS with Ubuntu. Suggestions?

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Picked up a cheap VPS with the following basic specs

512MB RAM (1024MB burstable)
15GB disk space
175GB transfer a month
And equal share (No idea how many others users on the server) of a Intel Core2 Q9400 2.66Ghz.

At $5.40 a month, I figured it's cheaper than dropbox/Ubuntu one/etc for file backups/sharing, etc.

So, the question is what else to do with it? Trying to figure out a worthwhile type of website to possibly run amongst a few other obvious things, but open to suggestions.

coutts99
October 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Picked up a cheap VPS with the following basic specs

512MB RAM (1024MB burstable)
15GB disk space
175GB transfer a month
And equal share (No idea how many others users on the server) of a Intel Core2 Q9400 2.66Ghz.

At $5.60 a month, I figured it's cheaper than dropbox/Ubuntu one/etc for file backups/sharing, etc.

So, the question is what else to do with it? Trying to figure out a worthwhile type of website to possibly run amongst a few other obvious things, but open to suggestions.

Thats quite cheap, where is it from?

Oh I use mine as web, mail and a VPN server.

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Picked it up as an unmanaged server from fehosting.com. Got to use a 10 off code which shows on the top of their page at the moment. The setup time might be a little slow, seems their staff are all in the US so it will probably be next time they're awake, but so far, pretty good.

coutts99
October 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Picked it up as an unmanaged server from fehosting.com. Got to use a 10 off code which shows on the top of their page at the moment. The setup time might be a little slow, seems their staff are all in the US so it will probably be next time they're awake, but so far, pretty good.

Hmm, you have to register a domain, I don't want a domain just the VPS :(

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I believe if you sign up and pay every 3 months or more (Quaterly, semi anually, yearly, etc) then you get a free domain name ;)

If you sign up, please refer from me XD Always nice to get a little extra.

http://secure.fehosting.com/billing/aff.php?aff=004

If the mods don't like this link please let me know (Or edit it out) and I will PM it on request to anyone who wants it.

coutts99
October 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I believe if you sign up and pay every 3 months or more (Quaterly, semi anually, yearly, etc) then you get a free domain name ;)

If you sign up, please refer from me XD Always nice to get a little extra.

http://secure.fehosting.com/billing/aff.php?aff=004

If the mods don't like this link please let me know (Or edit it out) and I will PM it on request to anyone who wants it.

I used your link :)

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome, hope you enjoy. I like the fact the servers are available inside the UK which is very handy, anyway, let me know how you get on with it.

So anymore suggestions people? VPN server is good and almost certainly going to get done at some point.

nilarimogard
October 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
/edited - wrong thread

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Uh, think you might have replied to the wrong thread there.

samalex
October 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
That's not a bad deal... The $6 plan looks great and that's not much more than what I'm paying for a virtual host. I'd be curious to see how well it works out.

Also according to Low End Box (http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/fehosting-com/) looks like FEHosting is based in Canada though their site shows the data center is in Orlando, Florida. I'd just want to verify the data center is somewhat hurricane safe before putting any mission critical hosting with them.

But again the price is amazing!

Sam

shad0w_walker
October 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
They have a choice of locations. Mine is in Manchester, so pretty much no chance of natural disasters.

Edit: Also don't forget there is that 10% off at the mo, so it's gonna be slightly under that $6 :P

shad0w_walker
October 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Self bump. Don't like it generally, but still short on ideas.
Only one I'll be doing.

nilarimogard
October 14th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Uh, think you might have replied to the wrong thread there.

Yes, sorry about that :D

coutts99
October 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Well my VPS is up and running (domain isn't working yet, but as I neither wanted or needed a domain I'm not to bothered) and all is good.

Support seem happy enough to help, I had to get them to enable tun interfaces for OpenVPN on my VPS and it was done quickly with no problems.

So I have VPN to my other VPS working, 2 way MySQL replication, IMAP working with user maildirs sync'd over my two servers with unison :)

So just Apache and Postfix (spamassassin/dspam/dkim etc) to finish off now!

shad0w_walker
October 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Cool, my domain isn't up at the moment either, but I'm putting that down as the transfer from my old registrar going through.

Good to hear that it's all up and running well for ya.