PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Change Login Screen On 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

spikoley
October 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
How do I change the background image for the login screen?

rogueleader12345
October 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM
i don't think you can anymore, pretty sure they did away with changeable login screens after 8.10, but not 100% sure

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 01:51 AM
How do I change the background image for the login screen?

Hi,

Logout of Ubuntu
Press the keys 'Ctrl + ALT + F1'
Login with your username and password, and then you'll have a terminal like prompt. and enter this in:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
sudo -u gdm gnome-control-center

Press 'Ctrl + ALT + F7'
A control panel will pop up - you can customize the appearance including background + theme. Click the 'Appeance' button. When your done, exit out of the control center and log back in.

rogueleader12345
October 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM
can you still switch the login screen to a custom one, or can you just switch the background image?

spikoley
October 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Hi,

Logout of Ubuntu
Press the keys 'Ctrl + ALT + F1'
Login with your username and password, and then you'll have a terminal like prompt. and enter this in:

Press 'Ctrl + ALT + F7'
A control panel will pop up - you can customize the appearance including background + theme. Click the 'Appeance' button. When your done, exit out of the control center and log back in.

I tried that and after running the command it said can't open display. When I Ctrl + ALT + F7 it brought me to a screen that said Ubuntu 10.10 and it would not let me do anything.

Any ideas?

Dennis N
October 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
You can easily change the log-in screen background image by using Ubuntu Tweak.

Edit: Use the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/ppa

[There is a Maverick Version.]

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I tried that and after running the command it said can't open display. When I Ctrl + ALT + F7 it brought me to a screen that said Ubuntu 10.10 and it would not let me do anything.

Any ideas?

This should be working fine - it works on my Maverick installation - are you sure you typed the commands correctly?

As far as I know, you can switch login managers to have complete customization, but with this method you can change most of the login screen's appearance.

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 03:18 AM
This should be working fine - it works on my Maverick installation - are you sure you typed the commands correctly?

As far as I know, you can switch login managers to have complete customization, but with this method you can change most of the login screen's appearance.

Sorry - I typed one of the last commands wrong.

Logout of Ubuntu
CTRL + ALT + F1
Login in the terminal

Enter Password

Switch back using
CTRL + ALT + F8
Change the appearance of the login screen, exit out of GNOME Control Center and log back in.

spikoley
October 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I ended up installing Ubuntu-tweak and I recommend it for updating the login screen.

To install the repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
Update the repository list:

sudo apt-get update
Install Unbuntu-tweak

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

Then you can run it from Applications> System Tools> Ubuntu Tweak

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=maverick

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Alternative method for those that don't want to install a program: The ubuntu background wallpaper is in /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png.

Moving any file to that location will change the image. I don't know if it has to be a .png or not but I always convert them to .png just in case.

spikoley
October 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Alternative method for those that don't want to install a program: The ubuntu background wallpaper is in /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png.

Moving any file to that location will change the image. I don't know if it has to be a .png or not but I always convert them to .png just in case.

I tested this method and it worked. I just saved the new image as warty-final-ubuntu.png and placed it into /usr/share/backgrounds/.

Alex22
October 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM

It works! After 3 hours of messing with gconf-editor and gnome-control-center - such a hacking method from the early nineties' PC games :]

Cool method, thanks Ctrl-Alt F1.

Notabene, no such a feature in Ubuntu 10.10 is a scandal for me. :)

rsazal
October 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
It works! After 3 hours of messing with gconf-editor and gnome-control-center - such a hacking method from the early nineties' PC games :]

Cool method, thanks Ctrl-Alt F1.

Notabene, no such a feature in Ubuntu 10.10 is a scandal for me. :)

BUT, i can't change it . why ? does it need any administrator allowance ?

spikoley
October 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Because you are outside of your /home directory.

Sub101
October 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The image also cannot be a jpg.

Seems like the login screen cant use it.

spikoley
October 14th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The image also cannot be a jpg.

Seems like the login screen cant use it.

Just rename it to a .png. It worked for me.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 15th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Yes, when you do the mv command you must put sudo in front of it.
For example I keep all my wallpaper images in a folder in my home directory called Theming, therefore:

sudo mv ~/Theming/wallpaper.png /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png

You would have to change the first part of the command (red) to whatever the location of your image is. The green part will be the same for everyone.

Remember to use tab completion (hit tab when you are typing in the name of the directories to automatically finish them). This will prevent moving the wrong file to the wrong directory.

blackcobra
October 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
alt-F2 (run application)

gksudo ubuntu-tweak
it will ask you for your password:
Enter
and walla

Ubuntu tweak has a load of other things that you can mess round with.

peterbe
December 5th, 2010, 03:04 AM

I just did that on 11.04 natty alpha-1 - Looking at the old /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png file with the 'file' command, it is actually a .jpg file. But I replaced it with an actual .png file, so it's only the name and extension that matters.

uk_dhacker
January 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Sorry - I typed one of the last commands wrong.

Logout of Ubuntu
CTRL + ALT + F1
Login in the terminal

Enter Password
Switch back using
CTRL + ALT + F8
Change the appearance of the login screen, exit out of GNOME Control Center and log back in.

It threw the following errors when i tried
No protocol specified
Cannot Open Display:

Some body help.. I wanna change ma login screen

tad1073
January 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM
The link below will help you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8362591#post8362591

sasindu
February 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I ended up installing Ubuntu-tweak and I recommend it for updating the login screen.

To install the repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppaUpdate the repository list:

sudo apt-get updateInstall Unbuntu-tweak

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweakThen you can run it from Applications> System Tools> Ubuntu Tweak

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=maverick (https://launchpad.net/%7Etualatrix/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=maverick)

thanks..........it worked