PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ok so this is an odd one, chmod +x fail

Binnyer
October 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Ok so I have World of Warcraft installed on an NTFS partition that I use as an intermediary between Windows and Linux for programs/games/media I utilise on both. I was having WINE issues with a different game and so I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and after fixing the other game I came back and tried to play World of Warcraft only to get:
"The executable bit is not set" error
Puzzling since i know I set it, so I went in the properties and tried to click the box "Allow executing file as a program", but it instantly went from checked, to unchecked again.
I went into the terminal and chmod +x wow.exe, but I went and checked the properties again and the box had magically unchecked itself again.
So I sudo chmod +x wow.exe still nothing
sudo chmod a+x wow.exe still nothing
I can do wine wow.exe and it will load the program, but I cannot simply click the exe and load it. It's mildly annoying.

Note: chmod +x or the graphical check-box works for any file not within the WoW directory. However the WoW directory is owned by me and has executable bit enabled for the folder.
Note2: it isn't just wow.exe it is any executable file in the WoW directory, but all are owned by me. Also I cannot edit ANY other permissions, graphical or chmod for any file in the directory.

emoguitarist06
October 12th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Try right clicking the .exe and change the "Open With" from archive manager to Wine and then you should be able to double click and open???

If not... I tried :)

coffeecat
October 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I cannot edit ANY other permissions, graphical or chmod for any file in the directory.

That's because:

installed on an NTFS partition

NTFS is a Microsoft filesystem and doesn't support Linux/Unix ownership and permissions. Ownership and permissions are set by the mount options. How are you mounting the partition, from the Places menu, or with a line in /etc/fstab? Most people have the exact opposite problem with everything being seen as executables on an NTFS partition. It's all down to mount options.