PDA

View Full Version : [other] Why buy brand name servers

epsolon77
October 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I'm setting up a virtual environment at my office, and as I'm quoting out HP and Dell servers like always, I started to think, why, if I no longer need to worry about things like individual hardware failures as much, do I need to pay the premium for a name brand server? So I thought I'd ask yall. So what do you think?

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Warranty and support. If you build one yourself, you have to deal with the manufactuer if anything fails.

epsolon77
October 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
But if my virtual OS is still running if a server falls, do I care? I don't need the part tomarrow, and will the Warranty actually save me any money? The manufacturer will not likely be able to support the software since it's virtualized. Going forward more and more systems are becoming virtual, and in the next several years I don't see why a company would not move into a virtual enviorment. So is that old saying still worth it?

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
If you have a bunch of machines virtualized, and the host goes down, what do you do?

That's the main downfall to running a ton of VMs on one server. If the host crashes or has a hardware failure, you are SOL until you get it fixed.

lisati
October 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Having virtual servers might be fine and dandy, but you still need hardware somewhere in the picture to run them.

epsolon77
October 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm running a High Availability Cluster, so if one hardware machine fails the VM's go live on another server within milliseconds of the host failure. If anyone is NOT running HA, check it out it's worth it.

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM
If that's the case, I'm not quite sure why you are asking about hardware.

epsolon77
October 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Mostly because one of our consultants is claiming we MUST have redundant power supplies ect in each of the cluster servers. I am curious if I'm missing something, and thought someone here would be far more intelligent than I and be able to offer a good counter point.