PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Openclipart

Inisfad
October 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Well, this is the place for absolute beginner talk, and here I am. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and I just downloaded Openclipart from the repositories and......where is it? I cannot find this indicated anywhere! :confused: I have looked in every file, tried to search for it, etc., and just can't understand how to access it. Can't you open this and browse through the pictures? I have a headache......Thanks for any help you can give.

yetiman64
October 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, type openclipart in the search box, highlight the package in the main window, right click it and select Properties > Installed Files. Check in /usr/share/openclipart folder for svg and png folders holding artwork (this path is for Maverick 10.10 - might be the same for you).
A list of all files and their path are in this window. This will give you an idea of what folders to navigate to to use the clipart.

Edit: the openclipart package is a metapackage only (draws in openclipart-png and openclipart-svg), you may have to check these 2 extra packages for the actual artwork, if it's the same in Jaunty

davidmohammed
October 12th, 2010, 09:49 PM
from open-office wordprocessor choose "Tools - Gallery". For me, all the clip-art from "openclipart" was displayed there.

yetiman64
October 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM
from open-office wordprocessor choose "Tools - Gallery". For me, all the clip-art from "openclipart" was displayed there.

@ davidmohammed, Wow, I didn't realize that was there (should've guessed so though), very handy, thanks :)

Inisfad
October 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Wow, thanks. I found it both ways! So, can I take this one step further (ok, maybe 2...) How do I import one of the clipart graphics into Scribus? And is there anyway of putting a clipart icon on my desktop (ok, so kind of like windows...) so I can browse through the graphics? Thanks!

yetiman64
October 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
For a link to the main openclipart folder on the Desktop. In a terminal,

ln -s /usr/share/openclipart ~/Desktop/openclipartIf you want a link to the subfolders use the above and alter both the paths in the code above to suit your needs. Note the links on the Desktop will have a lock symbol on them, this is because you are linking to a folder owned by root.

Inisfad
October 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks. I was able to get my clipart into my Scribus card, so I've got my answer for that, as well. Gee, it only took me about 6 hours to make this birthday card (this is a learning process). Probably would have been faster just to go to the store......Thanks again

yetiman64
October 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM
edit: never mind you have marked the thread. cheers