PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shutdown error messages

BobJam
October 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
When I shut down Ubuntu, before the monitor switches off, I can see some CLI error messages. Does anybody know where these messages are logged (or even if they are) or if there's a particular switch to enable a log-job for them? Because I would like to troubleshoot the errors but I can't manage to read the entire dump.Where I can find them?

BTW, these errors don't seem to mess up my system. Everything has been running fine for the year+ that I have been getting them. I was alarmed when I first saw them but now I just ignore them. Am mostly curious now.

BobJam
October 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Bump

Joshwaa
October 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Are you sure they are errors, as when I shut down I get text saying stopping services etc. Just double check :)

BobJam
October 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Well . . . sometimes they are errors, and other times they seem to be maybe normal shutdown messages, like a login prompt and maybe another harmless line. And then sometimes there are about five or six lines.

I really don't know what they say for sure because they flash so fast and then the thing shuts down (like it may also be an app or a process shutting down that for some reason stayed resident). That's why I'm looking for a log file, so that I can read it clearly.