PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are there major disadvantages in turning "visual effects¨ to "none"?

CountryFan
October 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
The reason I'm asking is the problem of mouse and keyboard both freezing, allowing no input, and forcing a "cold" manual restart.

This problem has hit me with all recent releases of Ubuntu (which is why Iv'e been left with Jaunty as my working system).

Yesterday I installed 10.10 on my other partition (replacing Debian Lenny, which I hardly ever used). At least this time, it kept going long enough to make changes - though it froze four times at variable intervals.

As an experiment, I turned visual effects to "none" - and so far today the problem hasn't returned. (Early days, but I'm hopeful) :)

However, I don't really know if there are significant disadvantages to doing this (Frankly I can't see any visual difference - but I'm not a graphics enthusiast and usually work with my current task window maximized).
However, would it impact adversely on possible tasks that have a strong visual component - like a GIS, for example?)

Spice Weasel
October 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure on this, but if you disable xcompmgr in a window manager then in my experience true transparency in apps stops working.

jerrylamos
October 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Are there major disadvantages in turning "visual effects¨ to "none"?

I run with "visual effects" none. All the time. On all four test pc's.

"visual effects" in my opinion is "eye candy for the desktop". It's got nothing to do with application function.

Now some people like "eye candy" so they use Kubuntu.

I run applications full screen like internet Firefox here, so all the "eye candy desktop visual effects" do is possibly insert some extra code slowing me down perhaps very slightly.

Two of my pc's have intel integrated video graphics and are "blacklisted" from running Compiz, which does the visual effects. Compiz uses some code paths that no other code does and the intel graphics have bugs in those paths.

Jerry

diablo75
October 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Um, are you sure it's just your mouse and keyboard freezing and not the entire OS? Because I used to have a crappy BFG brand-name nVidia card (GeForce 5500 chipset if I remember correctly) that would reliably and predictably lock my entire system up unless I disabled compiz (or Beryl). Putting a different video card in solved the problem.

But to answer your question, I know of no major disadvantages. There are neat little "tricks" and shortcuts you can do with Compiz but I'm sure they can be done without it if you look into alternative, non-compiz based solutions.

pricetech
October 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Never used visual effects. I'm not into eye candy, so I never wanted them.

One might suggest that I don't know what I'm missing, but everything works to suit me so I must not be missing too much.

Megaptera
October 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Another vote for no visual effects.

h8uthemost
October 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
One might suggest that I don't know what I'm missing, but everything works to suit me so I must not be missing too much.

Meh, in my opinion you're not missing much. In fact, one of the reasons I got interested in Linux is because my friend showed me all the neat visual effects that compiz could do.

So when I installed Ubuntu I used compiz for the first few months. But on my aging computer with low RAM, it really slowed it down. So ever since I use No Effects, and get by just fine without them.

I guess if you got the resources though, then go ahead and run them if they interest you. If not, I would turn them off as they're not a big deal(in my opinion).