PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 gets me this - .deb files are 'read only'

carloslosgrande
October 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I downloaded the latest Opera .deb file, as well as a few others, but I cannot install them.

Archive manager lists them as 'read only'

I checked the permissions and they are read,write... but not execute, - owner is me.
box is ticked to 'allow executing file as program' but no dice.

tried; sudo chmod ugo+rwx /directory/directory/file
and sudo chmod -R 755 /directory/directory/file

no dice.

have restarted several times, without benefit.

Only appears to be this file type.

Bamboozled

yetiman64
October 12th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I downloaded the latest Opera .deb file, as well as a few others, but I cannot install them.

I checked the permissions and they are read,write... but not execute, - owner is me.

no dice.

Bamboozled
Sounds like you are treating a .deb installer package like a standard archive. The folder structure inside the .deb package has its permissions/ownership fixed depending on where it is to install in the system and they cannot be changed while in the deb and extracting them is of little use to you.

A better plan of attack would be to install gdebi package installer (not installed by default in 10.10 unlike earlier Ubuntus apparently) with,

sudo apt-get install gdebiOnce installed go to the downloaded .deb file and right click and select Properties, then open the "Open With" tab, select Add > then expand "use a custom command" and in the blank line type "gdebi" (without the quotes of course), click Add and then choose gdebi package installer in the "Open with" tab for .deb files.

Now to install just double click on the .deb installer and choose "Install package".

alphacrucis2
October 12th, 2010, 06:53 AM

no dice.

Bamboozled

Did you try

sudo dpkg -i <whatever>.deb

carloslosgrande
October 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Yetiman - "gdebi package installer (not installed by default in 10.10 unlike earlier Ubuntus apparently"

There you go, that was it, thanks very much. I was hoping it would be something as simple as that.

Wasn't trying to install with archive manager, it just defaulted to that.

It seems odd that gdebi wouldn't be installed by default, but what do I know.

Didn't try your command alphacrucis as I don't know it and now its moot, but thanks anyway.

unbamboozled.

alphacrucis2
October 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Yetiman - "gdebi package installer (not installed by default in 10.10 unlike earlier Ubuntus apparently"

There you go, that was it, thanks very much. I was hoping it would be something as simple as that.

Wasn't trying to install with archive manager, it just defaulted to that.

It seems odd that gdebi wouldn't be installed by default, but what do I know.

Didn't try your command alphacrucis as I don't know it and now its moot, but thanks anyway.

unbamboozled.

Your gdebi is invoking dpkg anyway as does apt and aptitude, update manager etc. dpkg is the real deal. The others are just front ends combined with downloaders etc. It's very useful if you have a bunch of debs to install as you can just do something like sudo dpkg -i *.deb