PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] CPU fans running full blast since upgrade to 10.10

mattismyname
October 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Ever since I upgraded to 10.10, my CPU fans are running full blast (and making a lot of noise). Anybody else seen this or know how to fix it?

bailli
October 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have a experienced a more noisy fan after upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10, too.

And I also have the impression that sometimes Firefox (or the whole system?) is slowed down.

peace.gangsta
October 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Fans won't run full blast for no reason at all. Just take a look at the System Monitor for cpu consumption. Look for some malfunctioning program which is consuming up your cpu overheating it, hence causing the fans to run in full blast.

bailli
October 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
My fan isn't running full speed - it's just a bit more active since 10.10.
I already looked for possible cpu intensive processes but couldn't come up with anything significant (kwin might use a bit more cpu - but that could be just my imagination trying to find a culprit ;) )

A reason could be a different fan control policy - I am running kubuntu on a Samsung R560 notebook.

BTW.: is it possible to get rid of akonadi ?

mattismyname
October 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
@peace.gangsta I watch top but nothing is taking a significant amount of CPU
@bailli how do you change the fan control policy?

tobid
October 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
i have just upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 and experienced the same problem. the fans of my notebook (dell studio xp 1555) are running constantly at full speed, temperatures are within normal range (40C to 48C) and cpu cores are most of the time idle. it seems like this has something to do with ubuntu 10.10. ... damn i shouldn't have upgraded!

[UPDATE] mea culpa: its the open source drivers for my ati graphic adapter. i changed to the closed source ones and now the notebook is as quite as before.

spillage2
October 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
mines been running flat out with 10.04. so this evening i decided to poke around my case.

removed the heatsink and gave it all a good clean slapped on some new compound and now i cant hear the thing running.

cant believe thats all it took after spending a good few hours looking for a fix on the net.

GoosFraaba
October 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I also had success by installing the proprietary graphics driver for my ATI card. I was trying to get by without installing it, but it fixed the fan issue.

mattismyname
October 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Yep...proprietary drivers fixed it for me also.

2un@
November 3rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you
This was driving me insane with fan constantly cycling on for no apparent reason
System/administration/additional drivers had prop driver that stopped it
HP DV6 laptop with ATI 4650 GPU