PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Revamping a CMS

conradin
October 12th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hi all,
I'm attempting to revamp my Colleges web site. Currently it exists as a pruely proprietary system. The back-end is mostly Coldfusion mx, on MS server 2003, using ms access databases, and a really lousy CMS some grads wrote over a decade ago.

In order to make the case that we should go with open-source solutions, contribute up-stream or at least break the closed source bond, I'll need something to show my advisors.

Ive installed ubuntu server edition, after having some trouble with the desktop version. Apache & MySQL are running fine at the moment. I need to convert The MS Access Databases to something drupal and or MySQL can handle. I see some apps to do this but I'm getting confused, why am I converting databases to tables? What is does "database scheme" mean?

Can anyone out there help me?

conradin
October 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, I found a tool called MySQL WorkBench which will probably be able to convert MS Access db files to MySQl, but this isnt to say i know how to do this. I'm still looking for some help doing this conversion if anyone out there can help me.

I'd really like to switch to ubuntu server, rather than MS Server 2008. Please Guide me.