PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] anti-virus scanner

syringe6626
October 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
So just lately i reinstalled both windows 7 and Ubuntu due to a worm that i had. the worm is no longer what i am concerned about its scanning the rest of my drives for the worm seeing is it was reported to spread. the worm was w32/magistry-a.@MM or something like that and the other one was w32/netsky -c.@MM. i want to scan the rest of my drives for either one of these so it doesn't spread again so until then i am not using windows. The thing is is sense i reinstalled Ubuntu i cant remember the name of the anti-virus that i was using, all that i remember is the logo which was a shield that had a Bio-hazard sign on it. avast, avg, p-front or klam that i have tried haven't found any thing and even the virus scanners for windows such as norton, vipre, threat fire and malwear bytes doesn't find anything either if anyone one can help discover what i was using i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks
Trevor

efpob
October 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
BitDefender?

redbook4574
October 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
If your using 32 bit try avast. If your using 64 bit things get a bit more difficult but try on of the self booting from unetbootin

gandaran
October 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
bitdefender would be the best antivirus to run in ubuntu and scan the windows drives.
see if your antivirus is on this list
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/get-best-virus-scanner-linux

rburkartjo
October 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM
yes bit defender is great have it installed on my puter

Nightstrike2009
October 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I use ClamTk on my Ubuntu 10.04 PC you do have to do your scans manually though (Doesn't work in background) and you have to type "sudo freshclam" into terminal to update your virus signatures for some reason, works fine for me though.

To install type the following into terminal:

sudo apt-get clamtk

enter your root password when requested and bobs your uncle :-)