PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Macbook pro 7.1 upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

watgrad
October 12th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Has anyone tried to upgrade lucid to maverick on a macbook pro?

Any issues to consider before upgrading?

I just got my macbook running lucid well, not sure if I should risk the upgrade...

malagasy
October 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
touchpad is not working on my side after the upgrade, (mbp 6.2). I cannot select anything, and I cannot even use the scroll :(

scullez
October 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Just finished upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 on my MBP7,1
Almost everything is fine. I've fixed only three issues for now:

1) "TERM enviroment variable not set" in my Tilda terminal. To fix execute this command in terminal:

"TERM=xterm\nexport TERM" >> .bashrc

2) Trackpad drivers. Just add your maverick mactel ppa and install some packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bcm5974-dkms xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

3) Bluetooth btusb kernel module. If you do not have btusb module installed in your system, please download and install it:

download and unpack this file - http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=164872&d=1280385632
sudo dpkg -i btusb-dkms_0.0.1_all.deb

download http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c;hb=HEAD as btusb.c and replace /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1/btusb.c

than open /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1/btusb.c in your text editor and after

/* Apple iMac11,1 */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x05ac, 0x8215) },
please add

/* Apple MacBookPro7,1 */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x05ac, 0x8213) },
after that, run in terminal:

sudo dkms remove -m btusb -v 0.0.1 --all
sudo dkms add -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo dkms build -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo modprobe btusb
sudo service bluetooth start
After that your bluetooth should work fine.

If you have any questions about MBP7,1 and maverick, I'll try to help you.

mikegarri
October 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm on a Macbook pro 6,3. Everything was running fine for me in Lucid, but I just upgraded to Maverick and I believe I'm having the same touchpad problems. I can use the touchpad to move the mouse around and to click, but not for scrolling or right-clicking. The mouse preferences don't have a touchpad option in them like they used to in Lucid. I tried

sudo apt-get install bcm5974-dkms xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
but that didn't work. If you've got any info, let me know!

I haven't tried bluetooth since I never use it anyway. Everything else seems to be working fine though... wireless drivers, sound, video drivers, external monitor, etc.

mikegarri
October 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I restarted after doing that and the touchpad option in the System->Preferences->Mouse came up. The features I had before work again, but now it feels like I'm dragging my finger through mud... Even with the sensitivity and acceleration turned all the way up, the pointer moves very very slowly. Oh well, at least I can right-click :D

malagasy
October 13th, 2010, 12:40 AM
thanks a lot, my touchpad is working fine now ;)

watgrad
October 14th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I went ahead and upgraded. Used the directions to get the trackpad working fine.

Sadly, I have no sound. I tried the usual simple fixes with ALSAMIXER, but no sound still. I can see the sound card in the Sound control panel and Ubuntu seems to think it is working...
any ideas?

Thanks for you help...

watgrad
October 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM
:redface:
Nevermind - I realized that I let Ubuntu overwrite the ALSA conf file on the upgrade and went back to the Ununtu MacTel site to find the correct changes needed for the conf file to enable sound on macbookpro7.1

All is well and all works as it should. Am enjoying Maverick!

t4nec0
October 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to install the patched btusb, with no result.
I downloaded the files cited above, then went through the dkms commands and stopping here:

$ sudo dkms build -m btusb -v 0.0.1

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.35-22-generic -C /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build modules....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.35-22-generic (x86_64)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/ for more information.
ERROR: binary package for btusb: 0.0.1 not found

and make.log says:

DKMS make.log for btusb-0.0.1 for kernel 2.6.35-22-generic (x86_64)
Thu Oct 14 16:52:16 CEST 2010
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.o
In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
from /var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.c:25:
include/linux/mmzone.h:18: fatal error: generated/bounds.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'

I know bounds.h is generated by make prepare, but here I am not compiling the full kernel, just this module.
What am I missing?

Thanks!

watgrad
October 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
for bluetooth, I followed the directions above with no results either. The it looked like the update manager actually removed the packages when it ran after the installation...(at least from the error messages and terminal messages). It is still not working for me, but not an urgent issue as I don't use it very often...

On a separate note, my grub/plymouth screens look terrible now. (I think it is using courier font, all off center, and very large. Does anyone else experience this? I've tried to fix with the suggestions from the lucid threads for grub, but it didn't work. Has anyone had to tweak grub in Maverick to get it to a better resolution?

watgrad
October 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
RE bluetooth,

More info on my bluetooth issues. I now get this error every time I install software from the Software Centre - any ideas how to go about removing the btusb packages/files?

Error! Cannot locate /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1.dkms.tar.gz.
File does not exist.
dpkg: error processing btusb-dkms (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Setting up oggconvert (0.3.3-1ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
btusb-dkms
Setting up btusb-dkms (0.0.1) ...
Loading new btusb-0.0.1 DKMS files...

Error! Cannot locate /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1.dkms.tar.gz.
File does not exist.
dpkg: error processing btusb-dkms (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:

t4nec0
October 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I con confirm the ugly text-only splash screen with 10.10, plus a nasty instability of the Nvidia driver that was working fine in 10.04. In particular, switching from internal to external LCD or vice versa seldom brings X to crash or the system to freeze. Hope these issues will be solved soon.

linuxopjemac
October 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
It seems that with every new release the quality of the product suffers more...

grahamgreving
October 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Is there a way to set the trackpad to have a designated clicking space, where the tracking is disabled, so that I can rest my thumb there (to use as the clicker) without it disturbing my index finger's track input?
Or any other solution to the frustration caused by the trackpad not having a designated button?

The trackpad and sound are giving me troubles so far. But following the tutorial from 10.04 is solving some issues.

watgrad
October 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
:shock:
OK...so (foolishly) to resolve my problem with btusd, I removed dpkg from synaptic. Result: I lost wireless and gdm - booted only into the teminal...when will I learn!

Anyway - I was able to reinstall nvidia drivers from the terminal and now have wireless and dpkg reinstalled. This did seem to resolve my dpkg issues too...

I think I will wait for the MacBook Pro 7-1 tutorial to be completed before trying again to get my bluetooth working...;-)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Maverick

wheely_chairs
October 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know how I can install the applesmc-dkms package for Maverick. The Mactel PPA (https://launchpad.net/%7Emactel-support/+archive/ppa/+packages) doesn't have it. The documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Maverick) lists this package and it seems to be crucial...

Chris

Nickkk
October 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hi, I'm trying to activate my Broadcom Wireless driver but it doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have the same problem?

lemanh
October 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
after sudo modprobe btusb I have this:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, it will be ignored in a future release.

what I need to do?

(I have 10.04)

Espen11
October 21st, 2010, 01:24 AM
Hi, I'm trying to activate my Broadcom Wireless driver but it doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have the same problem?

I'm having some wlan related problems as well. I have installed the drivers and can connect to wlan's but the latency (RTT/ping) is very high, and generally unstable.

Any experiencing the same problems?
(i have a clean 10.10 64bit install on MBP 7.1, Broadcom BCM4322 chip)

watgrad
October 21st, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'm having some wlan related problems as well. I have installed the drivers and can connect to wlan's but the latency (RTT/ping) is very high, and generally unstable.

Any experiencing the same problems?
(i have a clean 10.10 64bit install on MBP 7.1, Broadcom BCM4322 chip)

YES - my wireless is unpredictable. Always connects, but the connections are slooooowww. It worked much better under Lucid...

watgrad
January 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
The new MacBook Documentation page has solutions to get everything working as it should.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Maverick

ANatale
February 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Just finished upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 on my MBP7,1
Almost everything is fine. I've fixed only three issues for now:

1) "TERM enviroment variable not set" in my Tilda terminal. To fix execute this command in terminal:

"TERM=xterm\nexport TERM" >> .bashrc2) Trackpad drivers. Just add your maverick mactel ppa and install some packages:

sudo apt-get install bcm5974-dkms xserver-xorg-input-synaptics3) Bluetooth btusb kernel module. If you do not have btusb module installed in your system, please download and install it:

download and unpack this file - http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=164872&d=1280385632
sudo dpkg -i btusb-dkms_0.0.1_all.deb

download http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=drivers/bluetooth/btusb.c;hb=HEAD as btusb.c and replace /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1/btusb.c

than open /usr/src/btusb-0.0.1/btusb.c in your text editor and after

/* Apple iMac11,1 */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x05ac, 0x8215) },please add

/* Apple MacBookPro7,1 */
{ USB_DEVICE(0x05ac, 0x8213) },after that, run in terminal:

sudo dkms remove -m btusb -v 0.0.1 --all
sudo dkms add -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo dkms build -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 0.0.1
sudo modprobe btusb
sudo service bluetooth startAfter that your bluetooth should work fine.

If you have any questions about MBP7,1 and maverick, I'll try to help you.

after "sudo dkms build ..." it said the binary package for btusb was not found. What do I do now?

derick
February 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I also get the same error. The build log for this is

DKMS make.log for btusb-0.0.1 for kernel 2.6.35-25-generic (x86_64)
Thu Feb 10 22:08:19 GMT 2011
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.o
/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.c: In function ‘btusb_probe’:
/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.c:945: error: ‘struct hci_dev’ has no member named ‘type’
/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.c: In function ‘btusb_suspend’:
/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.c:1073: error: ‘struct usb_device’ has no member named ‘auto_pm’
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build/btusb.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/btusb/0.0.1/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic'

There is only one reference to auto_pm in the c file which is in that function.