PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 upgrade: Update Manager won't UPDATE!

phubert28
October 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
64 bit Ubuntu 10.10 - JUST upgraded from 10.4!

Update Manager identifies items to be updated, but when I click ON "Install" NOTHING happens.

Restarted and tried again with same results!

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
have you tried

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

instead?

phubert28
October 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Am doing so now at your suggestion, but why would the GUI app fail???

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
lord only knows...and someone else here might also...I just know computers are fairly annoying for those of us why want to know why :-)

phubert28
October 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
:-)

Well, thanks for the response, Hippytaff. It went into my Tomboy notes. Hope I didn't ALREADY HAVE it there!

Having programmed on and supported mainframes and mini's for almost 40 years, I fully understand! Tho in the mainframe days, I usually ARRIVED AT answers... something that seems far more elusive in today's more layered environments!

cgroza
October 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Until you fix it use this.

Mark it as executable.

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
:-)

Well, thanks for the response, Hippytaff. It went into my Tomboy notes. Hope I didn't ALREADY HAVE it there!

Having programmed on and supported mainframes and mini's for almost 40 years, I fully understand! Tho in the mainframe days, I usually ARRIVED AT answers... something that seems far more elusive in today's more layered environments!

there is a possitive correlation between layers elusiveness and annoyance :-)

still want to work out how and why though...like proding a sore tooth with my tongue :-D

phubert28
October 12th, 2010, 12:05 AM
cgroza, I know this will sound stupid, but I should LOOK for that file and make it executable then use that instead of Update Manager???

From what I've seen of 10.10 following the upgrade, however, I LOVE it!

I went 64 bit with 10.4 against the Ubuntu 'recommendation' for 32 bit because I really can't see why all OSes haven't pushed toward 64 bit already.

After all, how many CPUs still running ARE only 32 bit?????

AND we see they seem to be PUSHING the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Of course I'm HOPING Update Manager 'fixes itself' ... or, at least, that whatever caused the problem might have been transient - though the restart SHOULD have fixed anything of that sort.

phubert28
October 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Update Manager "Install" function STILL doesn't work!

judedawson
October 13th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hi All,

Update Manager on my desktop is - for the first time - giving me problems.

I'm running 10.04LTS Desktop edition. When I click on 'Check', the app shows the usual checking of files but stops during the process and displays an error message (pls. see attachment).

From what I can understand from the error message, it could be a network problem. I've checked my internet connection and it's working fine. I also checked & confirmed the same internet settings are applied system-wide.

Any ideas as to what the cause of the problem might be?

Thanks, all.

PS: I'm relatively new to Ubuntu - so please be gentle :)

judedawson
October 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Update Manager is working O.K now. I'm not sure of it 100% as there are so far no updated files to install.

Still, I'll consider this issue CLOSED.

Thanks, all.

phubert28
October 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well, MY Update Manager STILL does NOTHING when I click on "Install" ... every time.

And I've had plenty of modules ready for update.

So I keep doing it manually.

Do I post a new thread because someone else considers this solved?

Any way to post BUGS TO Canonical?????

rmadams1
October 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I had a similar problem phubert but I was running behind the company firewall and had to adjust proxy settings. Any chance that could be the issue, or are you running it sans firewall?

Hippytaff
October 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Might it be worth uninstalling and reinstalling update manager?

DexterP17
October 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks this worked for my computer.

phubert28
October 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So, do I Mark for Removal, Mark for COMPLETE Removal? Or??

I tried "Reinstall" and THAT didn't help.

TBABill
October 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Best bet is probably complete removal, then right back into Synaptic, mark for installation and apply.

phubert28
October 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Did that. As before, the "Install Updates" button doesn't even 'highlight' as does the "Check" button when I mouseover. But it's not going to kill me to do the installs manually.

zer010
October 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I went 64 bit with 10.4 against the Ubuntu 'recommendation' for 32 bit because I really can't see why all OSes haven't pushed toward 64 bit already.

After all, how many CPUs still running ARE only 32 bit?????

AND we see they seem to be PUSHING the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

As you can see in my sig, I still use a 32 bit system, and happily so! :guitar:

phubert28
October 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
'Happy with 32' doesn't answer my question about why 64 bit cpus should be running 32 bit software.