PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 Network Connection Problem

smfoote
October 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I've just updated my Dell Inspiron Mini to Maverick Meerkat (10.10), and I've very quickly run into quite a few problems. First, it took an awful long time to install all of the updates. Is that normal? Perhaps it's just because I'm using a puny netbook?

When the updates were finished and I rebooted, I logged in without any problems, but then got a gray screen. I've seen that screen before, when Ubuntu loads (especially with Lucid), but it doesn't go away. I rebooted using Desktop Edition instead of Netbook Edition, and there was an improvement, but the top toolbar is blank.

Additionally, and most importantly, I can't get an Internet connection of any kind, wired or wireless. When I run
ifconfig, it shows I have an IP address, and says I am receiving packets, but I can't ping, I can't load any pages in an Internet browser, and I can't run
update-manager.

Any ideas on what I might be able to do to fix these problems (especially the connection issues)?

poohlo
October 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM
got nearly the same - upgraded from 10.04 now when i starting skype my network disables, or sometims it just disables. still looking for a clue

poohlo
October 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM
reinstalled the system. What's interesting - after SKYPE starting my network fails and it needs 2 or 3 times rebooted till it starts

physio_amer
October 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Same type of problem here. i upgraded to ubuntu 10.10, and now not able to use mobile broadband. although wifi is working and wired connection is working. any way to activate mobile broadband settings?:confused:

drtvasudevan
October 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM
upgraded from 10.04
Eth0 connection is erratic and of late not working. works from windows and so hardware issues. Belkin N150 router modem.
should i reinstall something?

garvinrick4
October 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
smfoote,
Check your drivers in "additional drivers" all Dells I have seen
have proprietary drivers.
Connection information in network manager applet (right click) should tell you your active connections. In 10.10 tells you everything.
What does it say there or in:

gedit /etc/resolv.conf
should be domain and name server if connected. (How did you upgrade system?) Said it took a long time?
Top panel can you right click and add notification area? (desktop edition)

poohlo
October 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I find that when starting Skype on 10.10 it generates a lot of traffic. Try to disably the firewall on your gateway - helped for me!

jimstar79
October 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Following upgrade this morning, apparently i have lost all internet connections!

well, nothing shows up on the network applet. Wifi has totally disappeared - stating network disabled.

Do i have to somehow reapply IP settings somewhere for my WIFI?

Right now I can not even see any network information regarding my ethernet connection.

crappy!

jimstar79
October 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
last night i tried out Lucid LiveCD - connected straight to the internet using wifi - what could have gone so drastically wrong when upgrading to 10.10 that is affecting so many of us?

peace and love brothers and sisters!

Kiisseli
October 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I got mine working by doing this:
1. apt-get remove --purge usb-modeswitch
2. Reboot
3. apt-get install usb-modeswitch
4. reboot

I'm not sure if you need to reboot in the step 2.

koschei
October 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have ubuntu netbook 8.04 on a dell inspiron mini 9, and when I booted from USB to try out 10.10 it couldn't find any networks. I can't get on the internet at all, and it won't let me run any sudo apt-get command - just says failed. Is this because I am booting from USB or something else? I'm not very linux-savvy, and any help would really be appreciated.

OneWayPT
November 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Following upgrade this morning, apparently i have lost all internet connections!

well, nothing shows up on the network applet. Wifi has totally disappeared - stating network disabled.

Do i have to somehow reapply IP settings somewhere for my WIFI?

Right now I can not even see any network information regarding my ethernet connection.

crappy!

Got the same problem, After updating to 10.10 my NetWorkMannager stop showing wifi, eth0 and gsm connections, i can access web with the eth0 but i cannot use the other connections... Tried the usb-modeswitch reinstall but no solution.

Any suggestion?

Tks

drtvasudevan
November 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
upgraded from 10.04
Eth0 connection is erratic and of late not working. works from windows and so hardware issues. Belkin N150 router modem.
should i reinstall something?

during one of those erratic connections i reinstalled everything connected with networking through synaptic. i got back the network manager icon etc but still the connection is erratic. sometimes i boot into windows and after sometime that connects. then i reboot into ubuntu and then it is connected.

Def_101
November 12th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I had to do this on a new install.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-1004.html

drtvasudevan
November 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM
during one of those erratic connections i reinstalled everything connected with networking through synaptic. i got back the network manager icon etc but still the connection is erratic. sometimes i boot into windows and after sometime that connects. then i reboot into ubuntu and then it is connected.

windows connection became consistent with updating drivers.
still ubuntu connections failed; not even erratic but no connection.
finally solved by adding to boot params the "magic word" no acpi

btw that editing was done by opening gedit as root and editing etc/default/grub modifying a line thus: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash no acpi"

drtvasudevan
November 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
finally solved by adding to boot params the "magic word" no acpi

spoke too soon!
it failed again this afternoon.
i fooled around and seeing the ipv6 was getting configured but not ipv4 i edited avahi-daemon.conf and set ipv6 to no
seems to work now
need to see the consistency! :-)

drtvasudevan
November 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I had to do this on a new install.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-1004.html

this one too talks about ipv6 disabling !

alexthunder
December 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I have problems with my Internet connection after upgrading to Maverick. I have DG965SS motherboard and I use an ethernet connection. It worked just fine in 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04, but not in 10.10.

I tried the following suggestions:
1. run

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
sudo dhclient eth0

in /etc/network/interfaces use

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but this didn't help.

Another user posted that the problem was resolved after 20 reboots. I tried to reboot and on the 3rd reboot I got an Internet connection. But on the next reboot it disappeared again.

my /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

alexthunder
December 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
This problem seems to happen more in 2.6.35-24 and less in 2.6.35-22. And I have only managed to solve it by rebooting (sometimes I need to reboot multiple times).

And the biggest problem is that my bootable flash drive used to save me a lot, because I was able to access Internet using it. Now I can't access Internet when using a bootable usb drive with Ubuntu Maverick.

My Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection

alexthunder
January 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Still have the same problem. If I disable my internet connection, I can't enable it anymore. Only rebooting helps, but sometimes I need to reboot 5-10 times.

alexthunder
January 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I have to reboot even more times now to get my Internet connection to work. Can't find a solution.

lshw -c network

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:16:76:cf:be:25
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=1.0.2-k4 firmware=1.1-0 latency=0 multicast=yes
resources: irq:46 memory:92200000-9221ffff memory:92224000-92224fff ioport:40c0(size=32)
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes

ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:76:cf:be:25
inet6 addr: fe80::216:76ff:fecf:be25/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:43 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:256 (256.0 B) TX bytes:12405 (12.4 KB)
Interrupt:20 Memory:92200000-92220000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:720 (720.0 B) TX bytes:720 (720.0 B)

vboxnet0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 0a:00:27:00:00:00
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

sudo ifdown eth0; sudo ifup eth0

ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

tinadad
March 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well I woke up this morning to an eth0 disconnected. No matter how many time I reboot the issue is the same. Was able to plug in a wireless usb adapter and it worked. Replaced the cat5. The interface was found in lspci and dmesg. Stopped the network manager, brought eth0 up, but dhclient failed. This system has worked without a hitch under 10.4 LTS, but a week into the upgrade I loose the interface. :confused:

91voyager
April 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
same here. 10.10 lost my wired and can't get it back. depressing me. i am a newbie, so if any one solves this and can add some detailed steps to fix, that would be greatly appreciated. i haven't tried rebooting 5-10-15 times yet, so will do that next.

cwoodruf
September 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
I believe this is a problem with NetworkManager. I have a static IP address and had settings in resolv.conf for my name servers. These vanished on the upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10. NetworkManager was overwriting resolv.conf.

So if you have something like this in /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 1.2.3.4

It may be lost on reboot. There are two solutions. Both outlined here:
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/setup-permanent-static-ip-address-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat/

For me removing NetworkManager (solution 2) was the only one that worked.

I really don't recommend using the purge method to remove NetworkManager as it will remove a bunch of other stuff you may want to keep. Try "remove" instead:

aptitude remove network-manager network-manager-gnome

Note that disabling IPv6, turning on network cable monitoring in the bios etc had no effect for me. However, by adding the nameserver lines to my nameservers in resolv.conf the issue instantly vanished without having to reboot the system.