PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows boot CD will not activate

eponymous_anonymous
October 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi. I'm trying to get an older tower PC to dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04, but I think I'm going about this in the wrong way. I've just installed Ubuntu and when I try to start my Windows boot CD it starts out with the " Press any key to boot from CD" message and does not recognize any keys I press at that time, it simply moves on into the Ubuntu startup process.
Anybody have ideas on:
A) Removing Ubuntu from the drive entirely so as to let Windows install unimpeded
or
B) What I can do to get the Windows boot CD to recognize the keystrokes and let me begin the installation process

Thanks a lot,

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
If you want to dual boot it is probably best to have windows installed first...and then set up ubuntu with gparted (on the live cd) to be the secondary os (in my experience.) or use Wubi which means that ubuntu is kind of inside windows. :-)

23dornot23d
October 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a problem with the Windows Boot CD .....

When you boot from a CD ..... that is the only thing that is used is the CD from a clean boot.

( Have you set the BIOS to boot from CD or selected CD as your boot option ..... is the Windows CD a bootable CD ? just checking )

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Ubuntu is not accessed at this point it sits on the Hard Drive but is not accessed ....

So I would just make sure that the XP disk is not damaged or scratched ......

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Couldn't agree more with what the other guys said :)

coffeecat
October 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Press any key to boot from CD" message and does not recognize any keys I press at that time, it simply moves on into the Ubuntu startup process.

It sounds as though you have enabled booting from CD in the BIOS but that you haven't enabled BIOS USB support and that you are using a USB keyboard. If so, enable USB in the BIOS (sometimes referred to as legacy USB for some obscure reason) and/or use a PS2 keyboard.