PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Distinguishing Between Distros

zer010
October 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is a surefire way to tell what distro a PC is running WITHOUT rebooting? I ask, because I'm sure I've seen some PCs used by a retail store running some form of Linux. I just don't know what distro they are using and I'm sure they would be upset if I sneaked behind the counter and reset it. :lolflag:
Usually, the person using the PC probably wouldn't even know that it's Linux, just some 'proprietary system'.:P

qyot27
October 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
uname -a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uname

lykwydchykyn
October 11th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Traditionally the /etc/issue file contains the name of the distro and version, but this is only convention AFAIK and certainly not required.

zer010
October 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks! Y'all have satisfied my curiosity. *thumbs up*

srs5694
October 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The "uname -a" command does not reveal the distribution, at least not in a sure-fire way. It displays information on the CPU, kernel, and hostname. If the computer is running the distribution's stock kernel, and if the distribution includes a code for its name in the kernel version number, you'll get that code, but you'll still need to interpret it. If the system runs a locally compiled kernel or if the distribution's kernel doesn't include such a code, you'll see nothing to identify the distribution. For instance, here's what I get on one of my systems:

$ uname -a
Linux nessus 2.6.35.5 #3 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 26 23:32:11 EDT 2010 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Ubuntu's /etc/issue file does include the distribution name, but that's not true of every distribution's /etc/issue file. This file's purpose is to hold information that's displayed when a user logs in using a local text-mode console, so administrators may change it to identify their site, an acceptable use policy, or whatnot rather than the distribution used.

A more generally applicable method is to look for a file called /etc/*-release, where "*" can be anything but is generally either "lsb" or the distribution name. This file contains the name and version of the distribution. For instance:

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=karmic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.10"

On another system:

$ cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.13

More generally, "cat /etc/*-release" will do the job if you don't already know the distribution name.

zer010
October 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Cool! Thanks!