PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen after adjusting display settings

radiosgalore
October 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Well...!

I never thought i'd take the plunge and ditch Windows but i'm glad i did. Spent quite some time messing with programs and settings and yes it had to happen eventually...

I was in the Display settings trying to clear a compositing error Docky threw up and must have set things too high cuz all i got was a blank screen with the thinnest of lines at the top. So... i needed input a command line and a friend told me to enter sudo rm etc/X11/xorg.conf which i did not knowing what it was or why. terminal then said the file or directory didnt exist despite me seeing it as I booted from CD and running live. couldnt edit or delete it from there either. Now i'm stumped and no so little about command lines i have no clue how to sort this without a format. ok essay over i'll wrap up with a final word. HELP!!

celticbhoy
October 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Have you tried booting into recovery & reconfiguring packages?

radiosgalore
October 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Have you tried booting into recovery & reconfiguring packages?

nope. not even sure how to. your talking to a total novice here i feel like i'm having to re learn how to use a computer

celticbhoy
October 11th, 2010, 09:34 PM
When you switch the PC on, after the bios info grub you will eather get a message saying press 'ESC' for menu, or grub menu will load.
If you get 'ESC' then press the esc button funny enough.

when you see the menu you will have at least two options, choosed the second from top

when the recovery menu loads, there will be an option to reconfigure or fix packages select that first.

thenh select normal boot

radiosgalore
October 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
OK after considerable fussing got it to work. somehow booted into a low res version and manualy adjusted things. serves me right for messing around i guess