PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting my wireless adaptor to work

robin9585
October 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I've recently installed Ubuntu alongside Vista on my Dell laptop. Everything is working great except I cannot get my wireless adaptor to work. I know it's adaptable with Ubuntu because it worked when I was running the live USB version of Ubuntu. The problem is that the adaptor is enabled/disabled using a keyboard hotkey which will not work with Ubuntu running. Whenever I launch Ubuntu, the wireless adaptor is set to 'off'.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

emoguitarist06
October 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
What wireless card/adapter do you have?
When you boot into windows and shutdown are you shutting off the wireless using the hotkeys or do you leave it on?

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
The above - and what is the output of

iwconfig

BigRedButton
October 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
launch the network-manager-applet, or install it if it isn't there using another computer or something. When it's running, right click on the icon and make sure "Enable Wireless" and "Enable Networking" are checked. I've noticed that every once in a while, after updates, this will be turned off for some reason; it would not surprise me if it also happened during an install. Disabling these options does actually turn off the network adapters and has the same effect as the hotkeys you mentioned. (also, once you get internet working try looking up specific drivers for your laptop. It's possible that you might be able to get the hotkeys to work)