PDA

View Full Version : [other] Linux Mint 9, Ubuntu 10.04, or Ubuntu 10.10?

thebarisaxkid
October 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
What do you guys prefer?

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx(I currently have)

Ubuntu 10.10 (Desktop Edition)

Linux Mint 9 (Isodora)

Which do you think is the best for novice user?

Which do you think is best for a pro user?

Why do you like a certain one better?

slooksterpsv
October 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
What do you guys prefer?

Linux Mint 9 (Isodora)

I would say any for a novice, but 10.04 or Mint as they are LTS releases
For Pro, I would say 10.10 as its the latest and won't be supported after 6 months (which means you'll need to upgrade to get fixes, etc.)

I think Mint 9 is better for a novice cause all the tough stuff done, like codecs and that. So Mint for Novice and Pro 10.10

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
What do you guys prefer?

Linux Mint 9 (Isodora)

http://distrowatch.com/
You can read more about each Linux Distribution on that site.

ubunterooster
October 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM

1) Mint, simplicity and better hardware support

2) Ubuntu 10.10 (try the frontier)

3) I can be whimsical and am always trying some new distro or another but use Ubuntu most because it is easiest to help here while using it. Edit: would be Slitaz if it were 64-bit....not sure currently...

Zero++
October 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
What do you guys prefer?

One nice feature of Mint is the fact that it installs dvd, mp3 and most of the other codecs you need to play common files. This is nice for people new to Linux because it's ready to go out of the box. Ubuntu 10.10 has this option on install which is a step in the right direction for new users. Mint also has a menu that is similar to windows or KDE but built in gnome. It might be nice for windows users switching over but I personally find it annoying and bloated just like the windows start menu. I got back into Linux with Ubuntu Jaunty and found it to be pretty user friendly and leaps and bounds above the distros of yore.

Ubuntu. The menu system/interface is better, the community is better, and Mint is just a derivative of Ubuntu so why not go with the original.

I'm a bit of a ubuntu fanboy but I have used mint and I like their mission and any distro that makes Linux and the open source community more accessible to new users is great in my book. I like the fact that Mint and Ubuntu seem to be pushing one another toward a better distro for new users.

thebarisaxkid
October 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks Guys, Ive decided to go with 10.10 and I plan to keep 10.04 on my parents computer.

amjjawad
October 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks Guys, Ive decided to go with 10.10 and I plan to keep 10.04 on my parents computer.

Good luck :)