PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Media Center + Xbox 360 Solution?

intel352
October 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I've been looking around for the past week, but I have yet to find anything yet that provides a media center solution using Ubuntu + Xbox 360, comparable to Windows 7 + Xbox 360.

I want to drop Windows 7 completely on my media PC, and just use Ubuntu (or Linux Mint). I've tried ushare, XBMC, Moovida, and a few other apps. Either they don't support sharing, or it's difficult to configure, or it is a cheap looking solution.

Is there no way to use my Xbox 360 for a smooth media center experience, similar to how it functions as a Media Center Extender for Win7, while replacing Win7 w/ Ubuntu?

I'm even open to commercial Linux solutions, I'm just hoping to be able to drop Win7 if possible...

Cheers :-)

kenny2009
December 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I am in the same situation as you, intel352. Did you ever manage to find a solution?

Lone_Joker
December 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure how you would do this, but I have found something. I hope this will get you started in the right direction: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=794489

a-user
December 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
look for xbmc live or openelec.tv

edit: xbmc was firstly made for xbox. the full name is xbox media center. it is available for xbox, linux, windows.

kenny2009
December 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Lone_Joker, that appears to be just for music. I'll try modifying it to work for movies (which is what I need).

I'll also try a-user's suggestion when I get a chance. I saw XBMC a few days ago but just thought it was a media player for Linux, Windows, or a homebrew-enabled xbox. I'll look deeper into that and give it a try as well.