PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can someone please help me

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
hey guys av got ubuntu on my computer altho seem to be having some problems with it

it wont recognise and let me use any of my usb sticks ?
it seems to be running very slow compared to old install of ubuntu ?
and last but not least wont recognise my spare hard drive in the computer ?

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks very much
TDK

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
It sounds like your usb ports aren't working. That may also be at the root of slow running.
What version of Ubuntu do you have?

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
the usb ports work as am using my wireless keyboard and mouse from it and my headphones am using the new version of ubuntu 10.10 ?

zkriesse
October 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
What are the system specs of your PC? Make, model, components, and so on.

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
its a custom pc i got off my mate is there anything on ubuntu i can use to get the system specs up ?

Thanks

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
as far as i know its got

1.5 gig of ram
p4 2.6mb
2 80 gig hard drives

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM
hey guys decided am going to re-install ubuntu but 9.10 as i belive i have 10.10 but not 100% not sure how to check

But can someone either show me where i can find a how to install ubuntu with 2 Hard drives and use one as just storage ? or if someone could talk me through the install that would be even better

Thanks
TDK

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
hey guys decided am going to re-install ubuntu but 9.10 as i belive i have 10.10 but not 100% not sure how to check

But can someone either show me where i can find a how to install ubuntu with 2 Hard drives and use one as just storage ? or if someone could talk me through the install that would be even better

Thanks
TDK

On my signature, there's a beginners guide. Check it, it might help.

Are you planning to install Ubuntu solo or dual boot with Windows/any other OS?

MooPi
October 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
to check which version you are running, in terminal

lsb_release -rd

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
cheers guys

the install will be solo boot just ubuntu mate
and the version i have now is 10.04

really dunno what to do really need to other 80 gig hard drive to pick up need it for storage

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
cheers guys

the install will be solo boot just ubuntu mate
and the version i have now is 10.04

really dunno what to do really need to other 80 gig hard drive to pick up need it for storage

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=154937727857763&topic=221

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
thanks very much mate just downloading the new 10.10 version now gonna give that a try see if there is much improvment gong to be using your link you ok if i pm you if i have a problem that you may be able to help with ?

Cheers

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
thanks very much mate just downloading the new 10.10 version now gonna give that a try see if there is much improvment gong to be using your link you ok if i pm you if i have a problem that you may be able to help with ?

Cheers

You welcome, mate :)
I don't mind but as long as you started a thread, others also care to see what happened with you ;)
When someone is using the forum, he/she is getting help and in the same time helping others who have the same problem.

I'm working on a full guide of how to install Ubuntu and use GParted but I can't do it today, I might start that tomorrow morning. I'll post it once done on that facebook's page.

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
cheers mate no prob and will do added the fb page really good idea that is

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
cheers mate no prob and will do added the fb page really good idea that is
If you'll be a fan of that page, you'll probably see the link posted once I'm done with it.
Above all, this is one of the best and main sources for help: https://help.ubuntu.com/

If you can't find anything in these guides, you could always use this forum to check if someone else has the same issue and how he/she did solve it. Also, you could use google which most likely will direct you to the forum ;)
Last remedy, start your own thread :)

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
cheers bud hope i can get this sorted out and get it all working its doin my headin filled my harddrive so fast it was untrue so need to get the other working hopefully will be able to when i install new version of ubunu

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 10:45 PM
really not having much luck with the wiping of this computer everytime i try to boot from cd works fine then gets to partition and theres no hard drives ???? no idea whats going on something is seriously wrong with this can anyone help me please am really struggling :(:confused:

i can still access ubuntu 10.04 but wont let me do alot atm for some reason is there away of wiping the drives completly without using the boot cd ?

emoguitarist06
October 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I use DBAN
http://www.dban.org/
it only runs on a CD though not USB

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
really not having much luck with the wiping of this computer everytime i try to boot from cd works fine then gets to partition and theres no hard drives ???? no idea whats going on something is seriously wrong with this can anyone help me please am really struggling :(:confused:

i can still access ubuntu 10.04 but wont let me do alot atm for some reason is there away of wiping the drives completly without using the boot cd ?

Why did you start a new thread?

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Not sure what the problem is...are you trying to install or just use ubuntu from a live cd?

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Mate, you shouldn't really open new threads. Now, I'm totally lost.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593426

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593525

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 10:52 PM
sorry for starting a nw thread just got really stressed out

what am trying to do is get rid of 10.04 as i dont really like it and want to go to use 10.10 so i downloaded 10.10 iso put it on a cd and tried to install the comp didnt recoginse the iso at all ??? so i used my old 9.4 cd to install that instead when it got to partitioning the hard drives there where no hard drives there ?

am just really confused is there anyway i can just scrap it all and just restart from fresh ?

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM
first make sure your iso is not corrupt - check the md5sum...if it's ok burn it and install from cd...if it is corrupt download it again then install it

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
sorry for starting a nw thread just got really stressed out

It's ok but you're confusing yourself and us. One thread is MORE than enough ;)

so i downloaded 10.10 iso put it on a cd and tried to install the comp didnt recoginse the iso at all ???
You don't PUT the iso file just like that. You need to follow the instruction on Ubuntu's website (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download - Don't forget to click on Show me how). That iso file must be burned as an image file not just burn it as you're burning any other data file. Of course it will never work.

so i used my old 9.4 cd to install that instead when it got to partitioning the hard drives there where no hard drives there ?
Ubuntu 9.04 is a different version than Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10.
Try to burn the iso file of Ubuntu 10.10 as mentioned in the website of Ubuntu and check MD5sum before burning it.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

emoguitarist06
October 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
am just really confused is there anyway i can just scrap it all and just restart from fresh ?
dban :)

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
sorry for the confusion

i have now got the comp to regognise all my drives now but when i try to click forward it says no root file system is defined?

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
sorry for the confusion

i have now got the comp to regognise all my drives now but when i try to click forward it says no root file system is defined?

Which version of Ubuntu are you using now? 9.04 or 10.10?

Are you planning to wipe the whole HDD and start from scratch with fresh new installation?

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
9.04 mate and yeh want the whole thing wiped av gone on to specify partitions manually

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
9.04 mate and yeh want the whole thing wiped av gone on to specify partitions manually

Note that I've never used 9.04 before so I assume it has the same installation steps as 10.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

Step 4 in the installation - choose Erase and use the entire disk (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=install-step4a.png).

That's the fastest and the easiest option.

acreech
October 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have a second drive that I use. I created a folder on my root partition.

sudo mkdir /folder_name

Then I edited my fstab

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Then I added this to my fstab

UUID=bf4f6c96-f046-458a-bc10-66666d555555 /folder_name ext4 relatime 0 2

You can find your UUID by running this in the terminal

blkid

Hope this helps

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 11:20 PM
ok cheers mate :)

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
ok cheers mate :)

Just make sure not to start new thread in case something will go wrong, okay? :)

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
oops wrong thread :-(

cariboo907
October 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
To make it easier on everyone, I've merged your 3 threads.

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM
To make it easier on everyone, I've merged your 3 threads.

Thanks a lot :D

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
i wont make another new thread if stuff goes wrong seems to be installed now ok but still no 2nd HDD this is the most complicated thing ever lol

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
i wont make another new thread if stuff goes wrong seems to be installed now ok but still no 2nd HDD this is the most complicated thing ever lol

Yes and we were lucky that one of the admin has merged your threads into one ;)

After you finish from installation and restart your PC, check whether it's working or not.
If everything is up and running, restart your PC, enter BIOS, from the first page, make sure the 2nd HDD is listed. If not, try to detect it (usually there's an option ot detect HDD in BIOS).
If it's there, then save the BIOS settings and exit.
If it's NOT there, just try to open your case/tower and make sure everything is plugged in.

If it's there and you can't access it from Ubuntu, then you need to:
Go to System > Administration > GParted.

From GParted, do you see the right top box where it says /dev/sdb (37.28 GiB)? just double check whether your 2nd HDD is there or not.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=411267&id=154937727857763

TDKING
October 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
seems to have worked just need to get it on the net now to work properly both drives are there tellin me i have 67 gig free space on my download folder

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
seems to have worked just need to get it on the net now to work properly both drives are there tellin me i have 67 gig free space on my download folder

So both HDDs are there now?

TDKING
October 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
yeh there both there its just now not letting me see my gfxcard and wireless card in hardware drivers so i cant install them or do i need to install them through synthetic package manager first before it will pick them up ?

allxk
October 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?

amjjawad
October 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?

He's using Ubuntu 9.04 not 10.10.

If you believe this is an error, please start your own thread but before anything, make sure it's an error/bug. Try to reproduce it over and over again.

I'd suggest to remove Ubuntu's partitions using GParted, refresh, create new partitions again, restart your machine and try to install Ubuntu 10.10 one more time. If the same will happen, then I guess it's a bug as you said.

I don't have 10.10 so I can't try it. In fact, with all these problems that people had/have, I'm not going to use it at the moment.