PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop server stopped working after upgrade to 10.10

comthre3
October 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Well I guess the topic says it all. I've recently upgraded to Maverick from Lucid all went smoothly until i restarted and realized that the remote desktop server included stopped functioning all of a sudden. tried other vnc servers with no luck, can someone walk me through it. I've looked at a couple of forums, and googled with not much help. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

magira
October 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Well I guess the topic says it all. I've recently upgraded to Maverick from Lucid all went smoothly until i restarted and realized that the remote desktop server included stopped functioning all of a sudden. tried other vnc servers with no luck, can someone walk me through it. I've looked at a couple of forums, and googled with not much help. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is exactly my own problem! Couldnt describe it othervise.

tanshu
October 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Same here :( ... hope someone can figure out what happened.

comthre3
October 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
bump!

honestabeinator
October 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Same problem here

Edit: Tried x11vnc as well, no dice

comthre3
October 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
guess no one is interested in this issue, there was a fix i found in the ubuntu notepad, but it was for the beta release and they claimed that they fixed it in the final version. i cannot find that particular page alas.

krunge
October 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Are you sure the X server is actually running? (e.g. examine 'ps wwaux' output)

If there is an X server running, try attaching x11vnc to it and attach the full output to this thread.

comthre3
October 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Xserver is running, and still no luck,, so for now the only way to get this running is via another vnc server, can't we do it using the built-in server?
Thanks

splittingdistant
October 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just to add some weight to this request................

Exactly the same thing has happened to my system post 10.10 upgrade.

Win7 system shows "Connection Refused". No messages of any kind on Ubuntu system.

If I look at preference screen for remote desktop it shows:
Your desktop is only reachable over the local network. Others can access your computer using the address localhost.

Clicking "localhost" produces the following error:
There was an error showing the URL "vnc://localhost::5900"
Failed to execute child process "evolution" (No such file or directory)

Prior to the upgrade the prefs screen showed the IP address of my Win7 system as well as 'localhost'

I hope this info is of some use to potential fixers.

alex0815
October 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Iīve got the same problem. There is no possibility too remote-access the 10.10 client (Windows or Ubuntu-machine).

luvshines
October 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Did you try connecting with vncviewer ??

I just gave it a try. Though I am not able to connect through RDP client (which I'll try to debug), I was able to connect through xtightvncviewer and vinagre from Linux

Also tried vncviewer from Win XP Pro SP3, it works.

comthre3
October 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Unfirtunatley niether worked for me,

luvshines
October 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Unfirtunatley niether worked for me,

Did you try this(vinagre/tightvncview) on the server itself ?

alex0815
October 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
The only thing I didn’t try yet, is installing VNC-Server on the 10.10 machine. I tried to connect from Windows 7 (VNC viewer), VM XP SP3 (VNC viewer), Ubuntu, Suse etc. Before 10.10 everything works fine, so VNC-Server canīt be the solution.

luvshines
October 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The only thing I didn’t try yet, is installing VNC-Server on the 10.10 machine. I tried to connect from Windows 7 (VNC viewer), VM XP SP3 (VNC viewer), Ubuntu, Suse etc. Before 10.10 everything works fine, so VNC-Server canīt be the solution.

This is kind of weird

Maybe you can check if 5900 port is responding or not on the server:

nc -zv localhost 5900

If it is, vncviewer on the server itself should work, right ??

You can also check the port reachability from remote machine (I don't know the Windows machine command for nc)

AlexTheStampede
October 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
This is kind of weird

Maybe you can check if 5900 port is responding or not on the server:

nc -zv localhost 5900

If it is, vncviewer on the server itself should work, right ??

You can also check the port reachability from remote machine (I don't know the Windows machine command for nc)

I'm having the same issue, and this is what i get:

~$ nc -zv localhost 5900
nc: connect to localhost port 5900 (tcp) failed: Connection refused
To add more variety, in my case the client is (would be?) an OSX machine.

shanegrant
October 13th, 2010, 02:20 AM
having the same issue...

ryokea
October 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Have the same problem, but found out something interesting. I went in and removed all the checkmarks in all the boxes then enabled the top two and the one for the password. Remote Desktop now works and nc even says 5900 is accepting connections. It seems the UPNP portion of the vnc server is having issues.

honestabeinator
October 13th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I did what ryokea said and it worked. It seems the problem is created by ticking the "Configure network to automatically accept connection" box. Everything works great until that box is ticked and then the machine becomes inaccessible.

So, to fix it, untick all boxes, then tick the top two.

luvshines
October 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Have the same problem, but found out something interesting. I went in and removed all the checkmarks in all the boxes then enabled the top two and the one for the password. Remote Desktop now works and nc even says 5900 is accepting connections. It seems the UPNP portion of the vnc server is having issues.

If clicking 'configure network...' don't allow Remote desktop to connect, can it be that UpNP support from router is disabled ??

Did you give it a try on the server itself instead of remote machine, with that tick marked ??

Just to be sure, when you allow connections, see if server is listening on 5900 or not:

netstat -an | grep 5900

alex0815
October 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
nc -zv localhost 5900

OK, ryokeaīs proposal works. I had to uncheck all boxes and close the window, then I had to leave a password. Now you can read that you can connect your machine over the ip and its name, before you can read that you can connect over localhost.

Connection to localhost 5900 port [tcp/*] succeeded!
alex@ubuntu:~$ netstat -an | grep 5900
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5900 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.0.105:5900 192.168.0.100:49395
tcp6 0 0 :::5900 :::* LISTEN

splittingdistant
October 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
ryokea's workaround fixed it for me also.

I no longer have to juggle keyboards & mice!

Many thanks to all, especially ryokea.

comthre3
October 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
So i unchecked all the checkboxes, closed it, reopened Remote Desktop, enabled the first two, and the password. still showing localhost. It doesnt seem that this solution fixed it,, shouldnt there be a patch or something?

AlexTheStampede
October 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Awesome, ryokea's workaround actually works! And it also seems it still announces itself on the lan, truly beautiful.

luvshines
October 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
So i unchecked all the checkboxes, closed it, reopened Remote Desktop, enabled the first two, and the password. still showing localhost. It doesnt seem that this solution fixed it,, shouldnt there be a patch or something?

After you have done this, see if the port 5900 is listening or not (use the netstat command mentioned in above comments)

If it is, then try to connect it using vinagre from the server itself

If that works, then from the remote machine see if the 5900 port of the server is reachable:

nc -zv <server-ip> 5900 ## Assuming remote machine is Linux

If it is then try connecting with vncviewer. If it is not, just check that server is not having any firewalls which are blocking

ryokea
October 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
If clicking 'configure network...' don't allow Remote desktop to connect, can it be that UpNP support from router is disabled ??

Did you give it a try on the server itself instead of remote machine, with that tick marked ??

Just to be sure, when you allow connections, see if server is listening on 5900 or not:

netstat -an | grep 5900

I know my router is set up for UPNP correctly. Any other computer on the network runs UPNP just fine with it and to the best of my knowledge only the VNC server is having issues.

I tested out my solution using a N810 to connect to my laptop and control it with vncviewer. Actually used that VNC session to make my initial post in this thread as a test.

Here, just for anyone else to look at. Here is with the box unticked

james@shade:~$ netstat -an | grep 5900
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5900 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 :::5900 :::* LISTEN

And here is what shows up for me after ticking the box

james@shade:~$ netstat -an | grep 5900
tcp 0 0 192.168.2.104:10041 88.15.187.173:5900 TIME_WAIT

comthre3
October 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM

my bad,, It seemed like it worked, ryokea, thanks a lot. would you mind if I put your post in the first post and mark it as solved?

ryokea
October 14th, 2010, 02:05 AM
my bad,, It seemed like it worked, ryokea, thanks a lot. would you mind if I put your post in the first post and mark it as solved?

Sure, go for it.

alex0815
October 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Iīm sure itīs not solved, because itīs not working like before, itīs not working without password!

ryokea
October 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Iīm sure itīs not solved, because itīs not working like before, itīs not working without password!
Mine works with and without a password enabled. Just used it to post this and the password tick box is unchecked.

albertcolin
October 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hello,
Just re-install vinagre i.e. Vino from Synaptic package manager and then try or else you can use x11vnc also .....

alex0815
October 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Ok, Iīve unticked the passwordbox and it works. Sorry, it was my fault. Thanks!

muayed
October 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi, I had the same problem, it works absolutely fine now from windows 7, thanks.

psychydyl
October 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
1. Run vino-preferences (System>Preferences>Remote Desktop)

The hype-box below the 2nd option says blah blah blah ... localhost..
This ought to be your IP or your <hostname.domain> (e.g., macsaur.local or starduck.local or laura.lassoon or whaterver yours is. Check /etc/hostname. It'll just have your hostname. Your domain, also called 'workgroup' is found in /etc/samba/smb.conf).

2. Untick all options.

3. Quit vino-preferences (<=>Remote Desktop).

4. Relaunch vino-preferences (System>Preferences>Remote Desktop).

5. Tickmark your choices EXCEPT for the "Configure network automatically to accept connections" option. Its this option, when ticked, fraks up the remote desktop connection. Check for yourself by ticking it (and then going back to step 2 to fix it).

The hype box should now be showing your hostname and IP instead of "localhost".

6. Ta-da!

deschmit
December 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
I follow all the directions given by psychydyl and it still says

Your desktop is only reachable over the local network. Others can access your computer using the address localhost.

Any other ideas?

$ dpkg-query -l vino
gives
ii vino 2.32.0-0ubuntu VNC server for GNOME

gitana
January 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I just started using Ubuntu last month, and had the UPnP option enabled and working up until a couple days ago when I couldn't access the computer remotely any more. Today I found this thread, and unchecking the UPnP option worked for me (at least according to netstat - haven't had a chance to test remotely), but I'm not sure why it was working but now isn't. Is there some way to fix the issue without disabling UPnP? My choices on the router are to forward one single path, meaning if the path changes I'm SOL until I can get at it locally to change it, or to use UPnP.

antonius
February 23rd, 2011, 05:33 AM
On mine, it's working for some users, my kids user acc't, my brother, but not mine....????

any ideas?

wgbuntu
February 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Same ip problem here. New install of 10.10 amd64. Followed all the suggestions in this thread. Port 5900 is open and listening but still shows ip address as localhost. I can use ssh to access remote computer. I can connect to server. I cannot use vinagre on localhost to connect to vino. Weird thing, when I click on the localhost link in remote desktop preferences it brings up the evolution program. Any more help?

isildur100
March 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I have the same problem and the workarounds stated in this thread did not work for me...

When I click on the localhost link (where my IP should be) I get an error because I don't have evolution installed.

Does anyone have this working in ubuntu 10.10 amd64 ?

TekNullOG
March 28th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I have the same problem and the workarounds stated in this thread did not work for me...

When I click on the localhost link (where my IP should be) I get an error because I don't have evolution installed.

Does anyone have this working in ubuntu 10.10 amd64 ?

I have the exact same problem. Ubuntu amd64 not working. I tried all the solutions mentioned here and nothing worked.

Really annoying.

Mononofu
March 30th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Doesn't work for me either.

However, it does work on another Ubuntu 10.10 box I have. :confused:

edit: decided to use x11vnc, works perfectly: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#x11vnc

alphalux
April 7th, 2011, 05:36 AM
This, in my case, appears to be due to me recently adding a second X screen for dual monitor support. I have found this referenced below.

Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603059
Bug Report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/682578

Apparently, vino is attempting to open two X screen servers using the same port. I hope this helps others watch this bug / thread to find a fix. Any practical workaround info would be appreciated.

deckoff
April 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM
What helped me was to remove vino-preferences in synaptic, and download and install the verstion from 10.04, which works fine for me( downgraded.
http://pkgs.org/download/ubuntu-10.04/ubuntu-main-i386/vino_2.28.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb.html

THIS IS THE LINK. Keep fingers crossed for West HAm United, if this worked for you :)

Vronth
October 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
The ryokea solution worked for me too.
In october 2011 after an upgrade to Oneiric 11.10

Force the firewall to open the 5900 port.
-------------------------------------------------
sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw allow 5900

Then force the Remote Server to re-save the config settings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Uncheck all the boxes in the Remote Server dialogue box.
Close the dialogue box.
Reopen the dialogue box.
Check the top two.
Check the pasword box if needed.
Retype the password, just in case.
Close the dialogue box.
Reconnect from client.

That's what worked for me. Thanks ryokea.