PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Start Page - Mozilla Firefox

Ranger_Joe
October 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
What is the purpose of this? How is it different than the regular Google homepage and why should I use it?

sanderd17
October 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well, like everything in this world, it has to do with money. Google gives money to cannonical if they use google as their standard search engine. The only way google can measure this is by letting cannonical make another homepage.

Ranger_Joe
October 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
So, do you use it? Is it better than the "regular" Google?

amjjawad
October 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
So, do you use it? Is it better than the "regular" Google?

Google is google (the search engine). There is only one google.

Ranger_Joe
October 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I understand that it's the same search engine. What I'm asking is, why should I use the default start page as my homepage, over the actual Google homepage, Google.com.

What is the benefit to keeping the default as my start page? Any?

SavageWolf
October 12th, 2010, 05:23 PM
It doesn't really matter, I think they go to the same page anyway. Though with Google.com I think you get things like Google Instant, and a quick link to images/video/etc search.

amjjawad
October 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I understand that it's the same search engine. What I'm asking is, why should I use the default start page as my homepage, over the actual Google homepage, Google.com.

What is the benefit to keeping the default as my start page? Any?

Same thing when you install Windows, open Internet Explorer and you find MSN.com as the home page. What's the benefit of that too?
I'd say don't pay much attention to that and change your home page to whatever you like. I have 4 home pages in my browser (Firefox) and I use Chrome with different home page.

To change the home page from Firefox:
Edit > Preferences > General

fatality_uk
October 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
It's all about choice. If you want to change your homepage, it's down to you. As has been said, there is no difference between Ubuntu Google homepage and Googles homepage,

Ranger_Joe
October 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I'm going to call this one solved. I thought there was a SPECIFIC difference between the official Google homepage and the Ubuntu Google Start Page... I guess not.

I was thinking that the Ubuntu Google Start Page had cookies turned off by default, for more anonymous browsing, or something like that. I don't even know if that would be possible, as that is more a function of Firefox (browser) than the search engine.

Anyway, I now see that there is no difference. I will be setting me homepage to the "official" Google page, as it is much more feature rich.

Thanks everyone!