PDA

View Full Version : [other] What ubuntu to DL?

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Good day.

I'm new here in this forums, and i was wondering what ubuntu to DL?

I want to try the 10.10.

My netbook is a Gateway LT3102i.

specs are:

AMD Athlon 64
ATI X1270
2gig.

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
anyone? :(

rockerphil
October 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
when it comes right down to it it's really just a personal choice. if you're looking for something similar to Windows i'd suggest Kubuntu. Ubuntu is the standard Gnome install and the most popular. Xubuntu is for older machines with limited resources, same with Lubuntu. the only real difference is how it looks, once you get past that it's all the same under the hood. hope this helps,

Phil

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
now i'm confused. (really noob)

at this link http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/

i downloaded the desktop AMD64.

now, if it's okay?

can you tell me is this automatically the kubuntu?:confused:

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
No, that's 64 bit Ubuntu, but it will no doubt work ok - maybe

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
so that means ubuntu and kubuntu are different, if that so.

can you atleast point some difference? :)

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've only used Ubuntu, so I'm afraid I don't know much about Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu etc. The desktop is different, I know that much :-) Maybe Google a bit?

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
well, since i'll be using it on a netbook, i canceled the desktop AMD64 and download the netbook(intel x86)

because quackie said maybe. :)

thanks to phil and quackie.

can't wait to try this. :popcorn:

acreech
October 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
After ever release there seems to be some bugs for some people. Depending on all the hardware and make up of your computer. They typically have all these issues worked out within a few days. So there is no way to tell if you will have an issue with it until you download it and try it.

I would suggest looking at the different versions mentioned above and then picking one and downloading it. Then you can put it on a USB or CD. You can actually "try it without installing it". That way you can see if it wil run ok, or your wireless will work, etc. As long as you are just trying it, it will run slower than when it is actually installed.

If you find there are issues you can come back to the forums and see if there are fixes to make what ever work, that is not working.

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
After ever release there seems to be some bugs for some people. Depending on all the hardware and make up of your computer. They typically have all these issues worked out within a few days. So there is no way to tell if you will have an issue with it until you download it and try it.

I would suggest looking at the different versions mentioned above and then picking one and downloading it. Then you can put it on a USB or CD. You can actually "try it without installing it". That way you can see if it wil run ok, or your wireless will work, etc. As long as you are just trying it, it will run slower than when it is actually installed.

If you find there are issues you can come back to the forums and see if there are fixes to make what ever work, that is not working.

Definitely a good idea :)

ron2duo
October 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM
definitely.

tnx acreech.:)