PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Language

expatCM
October 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
This is not about ibus or any other input method editor. Ibus works especially well and it is difficult to go wrong.

Ubuntu will show all menus / text on screens / settings / in a local language. You select this as a system wide option. It is part of System / Administration / Language Support.

Suppose you have two users on a system. One reads and writes Chinese but not English. The other reads and writes English but not Chinese.

How can you set the system so that when the first user logs on the system shows everything in Chinese and when the other user logs on the system is in English?

mikewhatever
October 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
You choose the preferred interface language from the login screen. One of the menus at the bottom should have that option.

expatCM
October 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM
So I guess the process is to enable the language first and then after rebooting this will become available as an option in the login screen languages as you describe .........

Thank you for your help.

expatCM
October 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You choose the preferred interface language from the login screen. One of the menus at the bottom should have that option.

Could anyone tell me more about this since I have looked at the login screens on four machines, all with three languages installed (in use with ibus) and cannot find this option. Perhaps I do not have something enabled or installed?