PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove dual-booted windows or not ?

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm thinking of geting rod of windows completely and just have 10.10 or maybe 10.10 and another distro dual boot. Wanted some opinions of loosing windows, feel a bit scared to get rid completley and I'm not sure why :-S

Rubi1200
October 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
If you are not ready to get rid of it yet, then dual-boot for the time being:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
If you do decide to get rid of satan do some reading first. Grub2 can take exception to a missing partition and leave you needing to re-install grub2.
ie an unbootable system!

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Dual-boot and when you finally have no reason what so ever to boot into Windows then you may just be ready to take the plunge :D

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
The thing is I've been dual booting with 10.04 and I never boot into windows, could do with the extra space, and with the arrival of 10.10 I thought I may as well just do a fresh install and completely remove windows

Braik
October 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Hippytaff,

Well I understand your fear, I was like you for about 2 years. What you have to ask yourself is why you want to leave Windoze and what are your needs with a computer.

If you play a lot, I don't recomend to leave windoze, many people will tell you that it is possible (and it is) but it requires a lot of headaches to make games turn with wine.

If you use a specific soft you must verify that the same soft (or an equivalent that does what you need) exists on Linux, most of the time this is the case, or can be adapted with wine again.

Finally in my case this transition was slow because I used to play with my computed (almost never now) and that I had all the time the double boot and I was almost all the time tempted to boot windoze and Ubuntu only to repair windoze :P. I have completelly changed to Ubuntu when I needed to reinstall windoze seven and I had an issue, I even wanted to repair that issue and I just decided to erase my NTFS partition and that it is.:o

I have to admit that previous to this decision my job was going on a Ubuntu machine that let me get real used to the system and everything.

So good luck with your decision

Megaptera
October 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I've just gone for an Ubuntu only and wiped Vista. Don't miss it at all as I had no special software requirements. No more tedious lengthy Windows updates plus re-boot, no more anti-virus updates.
With 10.04 I can be surfing in 45 secs from booting up and that includes entering p/w!!
Have enabled firewall,I use mywot http://www.mywot.com/ and don't grab debs from dodgy sites.

I'm pleased I took the plunge and used this partitioning guide (I need screenshots!!) http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26/manual-disk-partitioning-guide-for-linux-mint-9-and-ubuntu-10-04/

Cheers.
Richard

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The thing is I've been dual booting with 10.04 and I never boot into windows, could do with the extra space, and with the arrival of 10.10 I thought I may as well just do a fresh install and completely remove windows

Well then you won't miss it when it's gone then :D

pricetech
October 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
If it makes you feel better, you can always install Virtual Box and run windows in a VM if needed.

Hippytaff
October 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Cheers everyone...might just throw causion to the wind and go for it :-)

cgroza
October 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
If you do decide to get rid of satan do some reading first. Grub2 can take exception to a missing partition and leave you needing to re-install grub2.
ie an unbootable system!

LOL. you are overreacting.

Dyegov
October 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Cheers everyone...might just throw causion to the wind and go for it :-)
Then go for it! But don't throw caution completely; you need some for the installation (we want everything to run smooth :P)

Quackers
October 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
LOL. you are overreacting.

:evil::evil::evil::evil: :razz::razz::razz::razz:

Rasa1111
October 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM

I say go for it mate!

Up until about 9-10 months ago,
I never used anything but windows :mad:
But once I popped an Ubuntu CD in, and tried it for a week,
I was convinced..
Time to kill windows! lol

So, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my entire hdd, and wiped windows away..
and have never been happier with a computer! lol

(Until 10.04, and 10.10 that is) :lol:

But i havent missed windows once,
and would never go back to using it again...
Never! lol

I think if you're comfy while using 10.04, and never boot into windows anymore...
Do yourself, your machine , [and the penguins of Earth] a favor
and close up them windows! lol

10.10 is amazing.
and honestly, more stable than my XP box ever was. :lol:

I am here for you bro!
Kill it with fiyah! lol :D
<3

spydeyrch
October 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Do yourself, your machine , [and the penguins of Earth] a favor and close up them windows! lol

Hahahahaha, sorry to steal the thread for a moment but when I read that line, it made me think of a commercial I just heard. And it cracked me up!!

Over here in Portland, there is a company (not sure if it is anywhere else) that sells triple-pane windows for people's homes. They claim it cuts down loss of heat and keeps out the cold and that one could save up to 40% of their energy bill by switching to them.

The funny thing is that they are called:

Penguin Windows!!! hahahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So in a nutshell, windows is more efficient when the penguin is in control!!!

Ok, back tot he thread and sorry about about hi-jacking it for a moment.

-spydey :KS

Rasa1111
October 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
So in a nutshell, windows is more efficient when the penguin is in control!!!

haha! , agreed! lol :P
glad you got a laugh. lol :lol: :D

Elfy
October 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
OP appears to be happy - an outbreak of ridiculous spelling causes thread closure.

See CoC

Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.