PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live disk not booting

Lunami
October 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I just recently downloaded, and burned an Ubuntu 10.10 disk in the hopes of trying it out via live boot. I don't think it was an error with the disk, but more the computer.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-238DX. I can't seem to get into the BIOS to (what I think is the problem) allow booting from the disk, as I believe it's set to boot straight from the hard disk, ignoring anything else, which I find a problem if I can't alter this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Lunami.

ibizatunes
October 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
You need get into your BIOS to check your boot order setting, and check the disk, when you turn on your machine, it will say like F1 for BIOS hit F1 and check your boot settings

Lunami
October 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I certainly feel dumb now, I found my issue. While on Windows, my laptop, for whichever reason requires me to hold down the FN key in order to use the F Keys at the top. This habit carried over when I attempted to open BIOS. It was F10, but I was holding down FN + F10, hence why I couldn't get it to work.

On a side note, I managed to connect to the internet rather quickly this time around (I'm running the live disk now). Would the drivers already on the computer be the cause for this? Or is it something supported inside of Ubuntu already? Not that it much matters, as I believe this laptop has an Ethernet port, but I'd still like to know if it's on the disk, or on the hard drive.