PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Aspire One problem with 10.10 install

Scotchpie
October 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi

I've been using Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One since buying it a couple of years ago. Never had any major problems until yesterday when I installed 10.10.

I downloaded the full desktop .iso and burnt it to a pen-drive. Firstly I installed it on my main laptop and it runs flawlessly.

With the Aspire One however, though it boots into live mode and works well, after installing and rebooting all I am left with is a flashing prompt in the top left hand corner. I left it for up to an hour thinking it may be slow to boot as its a fresh install but nothing.

So I booted again into the live distro and checked my hard drive. As far as I can tell everything is there. So Ubuntu installed which made me think the problem was with grub.

From the live cd I installed grub using the commands:

>mount | tail -l

>sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/0d104aff-... /dev/sda

I rebooted but now I only have the grub prompt. When I type boot I get a warning saying that the kernel needs to be installed first.

So why is 10.10 not booting? What else can I do to fix this problem? Any help much appreciated.

Scotchpie
October 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
For some reason the installer put half the OS on the SD card and half on the harddrive. Don't know why. As the card is none-bootable and grub was on the card that's why it didn't boot.

Just installed again without the card and everythings fine.

DeonStr
November 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
For some reason the installer put half the OS on the SD card and half on the harddrive. Don't know why. As the card is none-bootable and grub was on the card that's why it didn't boot.

Just installed again without the card and everythings fine.

Thanks for this tip! :) It solved my problem as well!

Deon
Acer Aspire One