PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error on startup

Sinani201
October 11th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 with Wubi earlier today. I upgraded to 10.10, and when I started it up, I get this error message:

error: file not found
error: file note found
error: no suitable mode found

It shows up on the screen for about 3-4 seconds, and then disappears and restarts my computer.

There is some command line stuff that shows up onscreen before that, but it flashes and goes away so fast I can't read it.

bcbc
October 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 with Wubi earlier today. I upgraded to 10.10, and when I started it up, I get this error message:

error: file not found
error: file note found
error: no suitable mode found

It shows up on the screen for about 3-4 seconds, and then disappears and restarts my computer.

There is some command line stuff that shows up onscreen before that, but it flashes and goes away so fast I can't read it.

Upgrades to 10.10 from wubi are not supported yet. The 10.10 release notes state this clearly (for exactly the reason you are describing).
Why didn't you just install a 10.10 wubi instead? It would have been quicker. You can download the 10.10 desktop .iso and write it to CD and install it from there.

Sinani201
October 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
The wubi download from Ubuntu's website is still 10.04, unless they updated it today.

bcbc
October 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
http://people.canonical.com/~evand/wubi/maverick/

Try the most recently updated (Oct 7). Otherwise, just mount the .iso and extract wubi.exe from there. Or search for maverick wubi.exe - there are some other links where people have downloaded it.