PDA

View Full Version : Best distros for Linux newbies

jhsu802701
October 11th, 2010, 03:17 AM
In addition to Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint, what Linux distros did you find to be most user-friendly when you were a newbie? What Linux distros have proven in your observation to be the ones that newbies have the fewest questions about? I know that Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint have won over many Linux newbies. I have tried Debian and know that this would NOT be a first good distro. In terms of user-friendliness, how do the special versions of Mint, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Sabayon, MEPIS, DreamLinux, and Peppermint compare to Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint?

I am a satisfied user of antiX Linux. antiX Linux has the rare combination of lightweight operation, a superior repository (gives users access to the Debian repository), and user-friendliness. Other distros can match or beat antiX Linux on one or even two of these criteria, but ALL other distros fall short in at least one area. Thus, in my opinion, antiX Linux is the gold standard. That said, I think there is room for antiX Linux to improve in the area of user-friendliness. I didn't have much difficulty figuring out how to do things, but I can see some things that a Linux newbie wouldn't like.

I am about to replace my current computer with a newer one that's powerful enough to run heavier distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I plan to temporarily use several other distros as my main distro. I learn distros best by using them for everyday use (web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.). After I purchase the newer used computer, I will install not only Puppy Linux (which I use for the CD burning programs) and antiX Linux (my preferred distro) but also a few others.

My plan from all this is to suggest improvements to antiX Linux. Just think of all the old computers that would be saved if more people used antiX Linux. I'm not sure how much time that the distro developers spend using other distros. I think every distro could learn from other distros.

Dustin2128
October 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM
some will disagree when I say that I find fedora quite user friendly. Of course I also find debian and slackware relatively friendly, so....

CharlesA
October 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I actually started off using Pink Tie, which was a fork of Red Hat. Still have it around, even tho it's horribly outdated. I think CentOS replaced that one, but I am not 100% sure.

I've also used Knoppix before, and CentOS, but I've mostly stuck with Ubuntu now, since it's what I know and it works for what I want to do.

syano
October 11th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I found Gentoo to be surprisingly user-friendly. As a matter of fact, it was my first Linux distribution.