PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with themes (10.04)

jivabill
October 11th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Right clicked on the desktop, change background, got the Appearance Manger Window. Selected the Themes tab.

I have about 6 or 7 theme choices there. I would like to add more.

So I tried to get more themes online. Found one I liked, clicked download. It went I know not where. Clicked Install. It did something BUT the new theme IS NOT in my Appearance Manager Window. I have no clue what "Install" did.

Started looking where themes went, found /usr/share/themes. Could not figure out how to get one of the many many themes there to go over to my Appearance Manager Window.

Then I found advice about dragging a new theme tar.gz into the Appearance Manger. Looks like that works BUT

It looks a lot like if I get a theme from somewhere on the net and download the tar and then drag it in to the Appearance Manager window that I am duplicating what is in /usr/share/themes.

So I am very confused. And I still don't have the themes I want in my Appearance Manager Window.

I would much appreciate someone telling me what is going on.
thanks
bill:(

corrytonapple
October 14th, 2010, 03:28 AM
First, you download the theme, lets say to the "Downloads" folder. Then you go to System>Preferences>Appearance, and click the the tab "Theme" if it is not already there. Then, click "Install", "Downloads", and then your downloaded icon theme. It will install it, and when it is done, it is going to show up in your "Theme" tab. Click on it, click on the button "Cutomize" toward the bottom of the window, then tune the them to your needs. When done, click "Save As" and give it a name. You now have a complete theme!